75g aquarium stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelLover1324

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have a 75g aquarium and I had 6 angels but sadly 3 passed and I hope to get 3 new angels. I have 6 black skirt tetras but I want to add some more colorful fish. Have any ideas? Rams? Tetras? Live bearers?

Would get more black skirt tetras to make a larger school.

Then a school of some other colour - I've done gold mollies with black tetras and the two schools of different colour looked really good. Or gold or ruby or rosy barbs - they could be another option. Barbs I find pretty tough. Mollies here like water a bit harder then my soft water.

Could I put white skirt tetras with them? How many? And I’ll probably do a school of mollies and how many for them?

Depends on how many angels but I try to go for schools around 10. Around that I find I can still count them but they will do much better / look better in a larger school.

Could I just add white skirt tetras with my black skirt tetras? And how many mollies?

Okay, any colorful tetras you’d suggest?
Congo, Cardinal, Serpae....... anything 2 inches or more and full bodied. It's hit or miss whether your angels decide to attack them or not so I'd go on the bigger end for tetra and bigger schools.

I’d say so - Congos are a great fish, a full school might get too much for tank size. Just as a thought to check depending on numbers you buy.

I found anything less than an inch can get picked off by the angelfish. If they make it past a week, usually find ok - I have guppies getting around fine.

So should I do 4 more skirt tetras, 10 mollies, and 10 two or more inch tetras?

I'd do 6 mollies and 6 larger tetra. I wouldn't add the 4 additional skirt tetra. 6 is fine.

Okay, I’ll stick with the 6 skirts, and add 6 mollies, and 6 larger tetra. if I didn’t add the tetras would it be fine if I added 1 or 2 German rams?

I probably wouldn't add Rams with Angels. Not saying you couldn't. It's kinda hit and miss with aggressive Angels. They are both Cichlids so there's always that risk.

You could add Rams or Gourami's. The issue is going to be how your angels react to them. Many times I've had to experiment with the fish I keep to see if it'll work. For example....I keep a firemouth Cichlid with an Angelfish which technically you shouldn't do but they don't mess with each other. I also keep my Angelfish with small schooling fish which in many cases you shouldn't. On the flip side....I've had many fish that weren't compatible and it was proved to be true to form. In the end, it's your tank to add the fish you want and see what happens. If you do this have a back up plan. Be prepared to return the fish or have a second tank to put the aggressive fish in or vis versa.

Okay that makes things ALOT easier so basically I can just test around with fish and if they don’t work just return them...or put them in a different tank

Generally that's what I did for a long time before I figured things out. Not so much anymore. Lol. I also knew a few people who kept fish that would take a fish or two off my hands at times.

Rams here I’ve found the same that depends on other fish. Mine do ok but I have trouble getting food down to them and they are pretty shy with the angelfish. Which was surprising as the angelfish squabble amongst themselves and don’t bother anything at lower level than them. Anything in a net they regard as fair game though for some reason.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom