75g Planted Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice job on the rescape. Some extra S Repens will look good with the tall stem plants.

Water params are sitting pretty good today at 0 ammonia and nitrites, 20 ppm nitrates.
Pulled out the Hydrocotyle sp. Japan, I gave it a chance but I just don't love it. Moved some dwarf sag front left corner over to where the rest of it was near the driftwood because it looked out of place.

Debating what else to do today since my Fourth of July seems like it will be quite uneventful.

Woke up this morning to brown algae/diatoms and it's driving me crazy. Ugh.

Did a PWC today and wiped off the front pane of the tank, didn't have enough time to do the back and sides. May do some more work on the tank after work tomorrow.

In positive news, awaiting the arrival of a plant package from Fresh2o (thanks again!) and that should be here by Saturday. Woohoo!

Looking good! Staur repens will add a nice greenery to the tank.

Nice job on the rescape. Some extra S Repens will look good with the tall stem plants.

Thanks guys! I'm excited to see how it all looks once Fresh's plant package arrives and I get it all planted. I predict it will be delivered either tomorrow or Saturday, it's almost here based on the tracking number.

Thanks guys! I'm excited to see how it all looks once Fresh's plant package arrives and I get it all planted. I predict it will be delivered either tomorrow or Saturday, it's almost here based on the tracking number.

Cheese-whiz, no pressure. Just plant what fits into the scheme instead of trying to find places for all of them (though you have some room to work with). Be picky.
Package arrived in state yesterday I believe.

Cheese-whiz, no pressure. Just plant what fits into the scheme instead of trying to find places for all of them (though you have some room to work with). Be picky.
Package arrived in state yesterday I believe.

Package is out for delivery right now :)

That's the plan, been sitting here and taking a slightly different spin on how it'll all be planted. Probably will be moving all of the Bacopa on the right over to the left near the sponge filter with the rest of it. Then moving the Rotala on the left over to the right with the rest of it (while yanking the pieces that aren't doing so hot).

Dependent on the amount I decide to plant and its condition, Pogo will probably go where the Bacopa on the right currently is, with the Ammania Bonsai in the spot that was bugging me and looking fairly empty. Star repens in the front right with the rest, and depending on what looks good and is leftover, go from there.

25piao2.jpg

Plants are in and planted :)

So far, the green cories are far more active and entertaining than the pandas were. I'd even say rambunctious.

Did a partial water change today, and about to get cracking on writing a care sheet for my boyfriend to follow when I'm on vacation at the end of the month. I will be gone for about a week. What should I include on the care sheet?

Did a partial water change today, and about to get cracking on writing a care sheet for my boyfriend to follow when I'm on vacation at the end of the month. I will be gone for about a week. What should I include on the care sheet?

The big risk when having someone take care of your tanks is overfeeding. "Guest aquarists" often can't belive the fish could be happy with "just that little bit of food," and they're begging so much, and... Suddnely you've got an ammonia spike from the uneaten food. Good intentions, roads to Perdition, and all that. :banghead:

Since you're only going to be gone a week, you might consider not having them fed at all: they'll be fine for that length of time. Or, have him feed them just once in the middle of your trip and show him exactly how much to feed. Then give him the "Girlfriend's Dread Look of Warning" and tell him "and no more!" :eek:

If he can, though, I'd ask him to drop by once a day just to check to make sure nothing bad has happened, such as a leak, problems with the filters, &c. Make sure he has your number in case of an emergency.

About a week before you go, do daily partial water changes to make sure your fish have the best possible water. Do extra-thorough filter maintenance, and feed them good food a couple of times a day to help them bulk up.

Then go have a nice trip. :flowers:

BTW, Rachel O'leary just did a handy video on prepping for a vacation:

:fish1:

The big risk when having someone take care of your tanks is overfeeding. "Guest aquarists" often can't belive the fish could be happy with "just that little bit of food," and they're begging so much, and... Suddnely you've got an ammonia spike from the uneaten food. Good intentions, roads to Perdition, and all that. :banghead:

Since you're only going to be gone a week, you might consider not having them fed at all: they'll be fine for that length of time. Or, have him feed them just once in the middle of your trip and show him exactly how much to feed. Then give him the "Girlfriend's Dread Look of Warning" and tell him "and no more!" :eek:

If he can, though, I'd ask him to drop by once a day just to check to make sure nothing bad has happened, such as a leak, problems with the filters, &c. Make sure he has your number in case of an emergency.

About a week before you go, do daily partial water changes to make sure your fish have the best possible water. Do extra-thorough filter maintenance, and feed them good food a couple of times a day to help them bulk up.

Then go have a nice trip. :flowers:

BTW, Rachel O'leary just did a handy video on prepping for a vacation:

:fish1:

Thankfully he and I live together, so it makes things a bit easier. I think I may give him just a daily schedule for feedings, dosing ferts, etc. And I will definitely be showing him how much to feed. He already knows the "Girlfriend's Dread Look of Warning" so it should be easy lol.

I'm about a week and a half away from my trip, so starting next week I'll start my PWC regimen and filter cleaning.

And funny thing, I just watched that video the other day when she uploaded it. I love Rachel! :)

My fish go without feedings for 7-10 days while I'm traveling. No fry to deal with so that helps. If I do have someone feed them, I use the little plastic condiment containers; pre measure the food and label as Rachel mentioned (met her once at a monthly fish club meeting...wild and full of energy and info).
Plants go without ferts as well.

Back
Top Bottom