8 Gallon Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmwalters

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was at my lfs with my mom today and she wanted to purchase a 8 gallon biocube that he had for sale. The tank was cycled there and we used half of the original water and all of the live rock that was originally in the tank. I expect a small cycle from the die-off on the live rock, but it should be ready soon, hopefully within the week. I've maintained several planted tanks and a freshwater nano planted tank with success, but this is my first time to venture into the salty side of things. I've done a ton of research on how to run a saltwater tank previously, but now things are getting real. I have a few questions right off the bat:

1) What kind of stocking would be appropriate for this tank? Mom wants something bright and she really likes clown gobies. Would it be alright to have 2-3 clown gobies and then a cleaner shrimp? Would there be any aggression or territory issues between the gobies? Any other suggestions are welcome.

2) What kind of flow will this tank need? We bought the smallest powerhead he had because the stock outflow left half the tank in a dead area. However, the powerhead puts out 530 gph, which is a bit excessive? If it is, what powerhead would be acceptable.

3) What corals would work with the stock lighting? Preferably easy to care for and not super expensive. We were thinking zoas and some other softies. I'm out of my league when it comes to coral, so all input is welcome.

I'm sure I will have many other questions, but that is all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance.

An 8g AIO probably only has 5ish gallons in the display so I would say 1 clown goby max for fish, but there are lots of cool inverts that you could house. For flow a k-nano 240 would probably be perfect for you. As far as the lighting goes, I'm not sure what the stock lighting is on your tank, but some easy low light corals that come in a huge variety of colors are the z's/p's, ricordea (my favorite softy), and the regular mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom