800 gallon L - Shape Custom Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just made the transition into LEDs on my 40g and it's made such a difference. I had a 6bulb t5ho fixture that cost $325 and this led fixture cost the same, except that I don't need to change the bulbs anytime soon, and they don't promote nuisance algae growth when the bulbs get older like my t5s did. Also, I wouldn't do water changes on a tank this big. Get a large skimmer and dose for elements.

that skimmer would have to be gigantic to keep the water prestine for SPS and LPS and the refugium that he has just isn't large enough to be able to suck the nutrients out, you would need to do water changes or run monsterous ammounts of bio pellets

I am building test fixtures using 2 - 100 watt LED single multisegmented parts(one 20k and the other royal blue). Without the optics they do 120deg. But I can lens them for almost anything. They have the power to light a very deep tank. No problem sending power to the bottom of the largest tank with properly lensed high power LEDs. My interest in these parts came from high energy LED lasers I built. My guess was if a part like this can burn a beer bottle in half from across the room, that similar parts could really light up corals. It's all about frequency, power and optics...do it right and your next problem is not burning the corals. A good LED fixture that looks half as bright as your old MH fixture could easily burn your corals if you aren't careful.

Gti_Leo said:
sure they can, with the proper optics they will penetrate deeper, look at orphek canon LEDs they are beast and could light up a 72" deep tank

Orphek Reef aquarium Led lighting Blog News

Your right those things do look like a beast. Now it says 2 in one and you don't require blue LEDs with their technology, so what's the difference in say the 16000 k compared to the royal blue? Just cosmetics?

carey said:
I second that request. lol I've been following along to see how this project turns out. The filtration would be a treat to see! At least I know I wanna see it! LOL

Here area few pics from just after putting the rock in.

Aquascaping this week sometime.

Attachments

• image-1058208956.jpg
    image-1058208956.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 888
  • image-1693650369.jpg
    image-1693650369.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 847
  • image-4029631860.jpg
    image-4029631860.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 847
  • image-3627105335.jpg
    image-3627105335.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 851
Gti_Leo said:
the stone work looks great. did you just PL premium the stone to the plywood?

3/4" ply then tar paper as vapor barrier, then aluminum lath nailed to ply with roofing nails, then skim coat mortar allowed to dry completely.

After that, mortar applied to backside of stone.

I like the openness of the tank IMO it would look really good if you stacked rock up around the over flow. That will give the tank some great depth and you don't really need to clean in that area so it would be better then the rocks against glass.

Has anyone tried the hydor performer protein skimmers?

I'm looking at the 3000 series rated for 800- 1100 gallons,

emailed bubble magus to find a retailer that has that model.

Haven't been able to find it anywhere.

has anyone here ever tried a DIY skimmer?

Back
Top Bottom