90g Discus setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eat078

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm about to set up a 90g planted (low light) discus tank. The setup will have 1.5" deep white Stoney River sand, dogwoods, and low light plants. Current satellite plus 48" and pressurized CO2. I will also build a 36g sump.
I would order 4 3" fire red discus and 4 3" blue diamonds from discus-Hans. I hope to form 2 breeding pairs out from them. I have a 33g tank with sump is ready any time when a pair is confirmed.

I am not sure will this work. looking forward to your advice.

I'm about to set up a 90g planted (low light) discus tank. The setup will have 1.5" deep white Stoney River sand, dogwoods, and low light plants. Current satellite plus 48" and pressurized CO2. I will also build a 36g sump.
I would order 4 3" fire red discus and 4 3" blue diamonds from discus-Hans. I hope to form 2 breeding pairs out from them. I have a 33g tank with sump is ready any time when a pair is confirmed.

I am not sure will this work. looking forward to your advice.

It sounds as though this set up will work but if you have no experience with plants and Discus, it could be a very expensive start. Hopefully by the time you tank is cycled and ready for fish, Hans will still have what you want. He sells out rather quickly but always gets new stock in. Also, you will need to grow them out to 5" or larger to get them to maturity for breeding. Also, unless you buy a confirmed breed in pair, there is no real method to tell what sexes you will have till the time it happens.

I am relatively new to discus. I used to have few but all gone because I was away for 3 weeks. Now I have 5 x 3" in my 33g, and I can see their color changes along with different water quality. So I guess I am kind of understand how to observe their happiness, or maybe not lol.
How possible to form a pair with a group of 4 x 3", and what is the growth rate from 3", like when would I expect them to be 5" otherwise stunted?

Attached is my previous 20g planted using DIY co2.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397416952.543937.jpg

For starters, growth rate will depend on the following :
WC's
Feeding
Good water parameters
Tank size and # of fish in tank
Consistency
WC's
Feeding
Good water parameters
Tank size and # of fish in tank
Consistency

If I sound like I'm repeating myself, I am. Only time will tell about having pairs. You can't force it along. It just happens. You may wind up with all males, females, or a good mix of both. Personally, I would get the 5 into a larger tank sooner than later. Hat many, in that tank, without excellent care, WILL stunt them.

Btw, that 20 is beautiful. Great job on it !!!

Great hints, Thanks! I actually will pick up the fish next weekend. I guess it may make me set up the 90g sooner. As my wife made fun of me today "everything is ready, even the fish, except the tank, why wait till next year" (next year is our agreement)

Haha!!! Great thing about the wife being so supportive !! My last was a 50/50 shot depending on the day of the week. Best advice I can tell you going forward, learn to walk before you learn to run. I sent you a pm also.

Back
Top Bottom