A couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

handb94

Aquarium Advice Regular
First off I would like to say thank you to all of the knowledgeable people on this site. I have been on a hiatus for a while until my living situation was figured out. Now I have my 55 gallon long set up. I did a fishless cycle and my ammo is at 0 nitrites at 0 and my nitrates are still kinda high at 40-60 ish. I did a 75% water change about a week ago. I just did another 25% change today. I will retest later.

I had a couple questions on how to read the ph test results. I am using the API master kit. I read the ph color and it looks like 7.6. Then I read the high range ph and it's not really any of the colors on the chart. Maybe a light brown. Near the 7.8 mark. How do you know which one to look at?

I currently have 2 young bala sharks in the tank. I read that the sharks need a ph of 5.7 to 7.9 ish. I have been using API ph down but it doesn't seem to be getting where I want it. Is there anything else I can do to lower it? I read that rain water has low ph and that can help bring it down. Would it be alright to use that?

I think that is all.
Thanks for the help.

the going advice on ph here that I have noticed is that people generally do more damage playing with it than they do good..fish are apparently VERY adaptable and though it may not be "ideal" they can adjust to about anything STABLE as long as it is and remains at whatever level you have your golden, if the ph fluctuates then they get into trouble... hope this helps

If you really want to bring it down a little naturally filter with some peat moss in a bag or add some riftwood..as for the API High ph test I have trouble at that point too, I just right it up as 7.8 and call it good, again the number really doesnt matter as long as it stays there :)

Don't use pH down. You really never want to use additives like that to alter pH. If the pH did need lowerd, you'd want to use a natural method, such as filtering with peat. However your pH is great for most fish, and doesn't need lowered. Certainly not for the bala sharks. A bigger issue is that bala sharks are schoolers that need to kept in larger groups and 55 gals is much too small for them.

Alrighty, if the ph isn't an issue I won't worry about it that much. I will test to make sure it doesn't fluctuate. I realize that they will get too big for the tank. They are about an inch and a half long right now. I will rehome them once they get larger. I don't know how fast they grow but hopefully I will have upgraded to a 150 gallon tank by the time they get too big. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom