a few rtc questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishhooked

Aquarium Advice Activist
As my profile states I have a 2in red tail catfish. I know the 55 is to small to quick. But I'm in the process of forever upgrading so please help me with my problem and not just state that problem, thank you.

I have no problem getting him to eat worms and feeders but he wamts nothing to do with my carnivore pellets. Is there any tips to getting him to eat them? And what is a prime feeding schedule for one his age? Sorry I tried to add a pic but the app keeps crashing.. Thank you all. And I'm glad to be aboard.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130605_225954.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130605_225954.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20130605_230018.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130605_230018.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 93
Try not feeding for 2 days he should take pellets after that. If he doesn't take the pellets wait another day then try again. If still no go feed live food and try getting him on to frozen and then to pellets.

As far as my wallet and trips to pet store every couple days, I kinda want him on pellets..another person told me feed him feeders til he's 6in long. But i feel like he'll even be more hesitant for pellets after that long. Iv tried going a couple days, even more and he doesn't even touch those pellets.

I hand feed him and he goes crazy as soon as my hand goes in there. Then I put some pellets In there and they end up just sitting there making waste. I mean ultimately feeders aren't that much of a pain. But when he's bigger I don't wanna have to buy 72 fish a week:)

Ultimately he eats awesome and have no prob with the getting him to eat. He even got a horrible heater burn(that's the only thing that makes since) on his stomach, and right after was still wanting /eating food. Which I didn't really want him to. But a week of melafix and water change he's just about healed.

I to have a RTC 21" he's in a 100 gallon tank and doing great so a 55 will last about a yr then its better to go bigger lol as far as food goes. I just go fishing a lot and fillet my catch mostly catching large catfish. Anyway I feed mine frozen fish fillets and he loves it. So basically I buy worms to fish with and the rest is free food it freezes so catch enough and it will feed through the winter months. Also they sell catfish nuggets at Meijer for like $8 for a 4 lb bag. that feeds a while lol good luck and enjoy! My catfish is 3 yrs old and I've had him from a baby. He was in a 220 gallon but it sprung a leak so I had to down size do to cost. Massive filtration is on my 100 gallon that gets 50%wc daily

Attachments

• image-809478486.jpg
    image-809478486.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3383937668.jpg
    image-3383937668.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1647618223.jpg
    image-1647618223.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 68
Thank you. I'm a big fisherman. What kind do u catch for him? I was never thinking about that. How often did u feed him when he was the size of mine.. It's not set in stone but I probably feed a couple feeders and a small worm or two, every two or three days. Basically when he's going crazy at my hand being in there or his stomach isn't bulging? Does that sound about right?

Thank you. I'm a big fisherman. What kind do u catch for him? I was never thinking about that. How often did u feed him when he was the size of mine.. It's not set in stone but I probably feed a couple feeders and a small worm or two, every two or three days. Basically when he's going crazy at my hand being in there or his stomach isn't bulging? Does that sound about right?

Usually catch channel catfish. I usually feed 2-3 times a week each time I feed till he's full

I actually have an update on this tank I really need help with.. I just found 3 snails. Two pin head, one slightly bigger. The person I got this tank from had some snail's on it when I got it. I spent a good amount of time cleaning it. But unfortunately I couldn't get some of the "green growth" off the sealant. So im almost sure thats where it cam from(previous owner) ..

WHAT CAN I DO. I want nothing to do with them. And want them out. Please help.

I think if u don't have plants u can use copper base Meds to get rid of them ask the LFS about it

I do have some cut up water wisteria all along the side and a couple baby amazon swords starting, why plants help the situation??

Actually I just found out today I'm gonna be taking my dad's 180g so that should help most the problem right? I also have sand as a substrate, that's prob not good fro snail's either is it?

Congrats on the 180g. Now you can keep the RTC for two years ;)

I'd recommend loaches for the snails.. but the RTC will eventually eat them.

There are all kinds of foods to feed an RTC for cheaper. However if you don't want to spend a lot of money on food this probably wasn't the best choice in fish. Even if you get him on pellets he will eat a LOT of pellets in the near future.

Thank u. I'm super excited too. No I understand the eating alot and I'm willing to take it on. It's just a pain cause my lps sucks and is always out of feeders and that leaves a 45min drive to get more. If i buy 5 or 6 he's got those eaten in a week or less. Just trying to figure out the best bang for my buck I guess.

Screw those snail's. That was always my main goal. No snail's. But I'm just gonna clean this sand super good with hot water when I switch and hopefully that'll do the job.

Buy bags of raw shrimp at the grocery store. It's like $7 for 30-50 depending on the size. This would make a good staple and shouldn't break the bank too much.

Feeders are fun to watch but they are not healthy and they spread diseases and parasites.

Yeah as I said earlier mine had a horrible heater burn. The only other thing I could come up with would be disease from feeders. But if that was getting him from the inside out. I don't think he would've survived. But yeah iv read alot about bad feeders. There just so convenient and fill him up good for his size.

Back
Top Bottom