A little peak at the lfs I go to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess my point is they do exist in the home aquaria at 10 + inches because I saw them. I didn't even know what they were besides loaches. The tank busters aren't something I keep up on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I guess my point is they do exist in the home aquaria at 10 + inches because I saw them. I didn't even know what they were besides loaches. The tank busters aren't something I keep up on.

Mine are about two years old maybe a little less, I don't see myself keeping fish more than 5 years which at that point they would be around 7 to 8 inch, at tongs tropical fish over here, they showed me the loaches they've had for 5 years and they were only 6 inch so I guess it all depends on size of tank also.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm guessing proper diet factors in as well. I wasn't questioning what you're doing I just wanted to confirm that over 10 inch Clown loaches are out there in the home aquarium.

I gotcha I was was shedding a little light on what I was doing anyway lol

Got it. I have never made a comment in this section before because I know very little about cichlids but I do lurk at times in the hopes of learning more. ;)

Let's just say once you start it's hard to stop with cichlids. Like once you pop you can't stop with pringles.:)

I had 2 Oscars in high school and they ate out of my hands. Then I had some kind of "lfs said these would work together" mixed cichlid tank for the cats. One cat actually picked them off one by one and would carry them around the house in her mouth. LOL that was like 10 years ago at least. I gave up then with them.

This isn't the photo I was remembering, but it's one hell of a clown loach, and the person who snapped the picture said it was his "2nd largest":

img_3508-jpg.1043182

Geez! Thats a monster fish!

It appears as they get older the striping patterns can really differ from fish to fish, thats cool!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Put a piece of drift wood for the royal pleco will post pic later.

Geez! Thats a monster fish!

It appears as they get older the striping patterns can really differ from fish to fish, thats cool!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Yeah! The patterns can vary quite a bit. You can even make a pretty solid guess where a loach came from based on certain aspects. I remember that clown loaches from borneo have black pelvic fins while ones from sumatra have red pelvic fins.

FYI you CAN go off topic in my thread here, I don't find it a big deal unless I have serious questions.

I'm surprised I got a pic of that dojo loach lol, anyway took the middle fake log out and got something for the royal pleco to munch on, it's under the drift wood right now.

Attachments

• 1442806686972.jpg
    1442806686972.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 66
Looks more like a Botia Loach

Yeah the one in the middle is a yoyo loach (botia almorhae)

I see a blur on the left side of the photo that looks like it might be a dojo loach though; they're not keen on being photographed :lol: They do really like cooler water though so I wouldn't keep them with tropical fish like that.

Yeah the one in the middle is a yoyo loach (botia almorhae)

I see a blur on the left side of the photo that looks like it might be a dojo loach though; they're not keen on being photographed :lol: They do really like cooler water though so I wouldn't keep them with tropical fish like that.

I'm going to stoke the fire a little bit... If I may?

These fish are HIGHLY adaptable. I've kept one in tropical water(75-77 degrees) for a year now. No diseases, no aggression(aside from the lack of respect for personal space in the other fish lol) and no real signs of stress. Just the obvious increased metabolism.

I was looking at the growth rate of them and wondered, mine has shot from 2 inches to 7.5-8 inches in a year.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/growth-rate-of-a-dojo-or-weather-loach.109100/

There is little proven evidence to the exact growth rate of them, but most reads a slow growth rate of a couple years before reach adult sizes.

Could increased metabolism and diet play a role in the significant growth in mine?

My other one, has grown easily 1.5 inches since we got him a few months ago. Both are in the same tank.

RD.. How much growth have you seen in yours and how long have you had him? What do you feed?

Caleb

In about 3 months maybe a little less since I got them, I would say about an inch

As for feed it's nls sinking pellets and an occasional blood worm cube once a week sometimes they will go for an algae wafer. Another note on these guys....they are pigs!

I'm going to stoke the fire a little bit... If I may?

These fish are HIGHLY adaptable. I've kept one in tropical water(75-77 degrees) for a year now. No diseases, no aggression(aside from the lack of respect for personal space in the other fish lol) and no real signs of stress. Just the obvious increased metabolism.

I was looking at the growth rate of them and wondered, mine has shot from 2 inches to 7.5-8 inches in a year.

Growth rate of a Dojo or Weather Loach | MonsterFishKeepers.com

There is little proven evidence to the exact growth rate of them, but most reads a slow growth rate of a couple years before reach adult sizes.

Could increased metabolism and diet play a role in the significant growth in mine?

My other one, has grown easily 1.5 inches since we got him a few months ago. Both are in the same tank.

RD.. How much growth have you seen in yours and how long have you had him? What do you feed?

Caleb

You're right about highly adaptable. In fact, they are among the fish known to gulp air at the surface due to low oxygen in their natural habitat, so they can survive in warm low-oxygen water. But they do prefer cooler water and aren't really adapted to long-term life in tropical temperatures. Keeping them in warmer water significantly reduces their lifespan. It's good that you've had one in tropical water for a year, but some people have also successfully had multiple male bettas in the same tank. Working in one situation doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

In any case, 77 is the highest temperature I would keep one in; LOL lists their temperature range from 50-77. But african cichlids and botia loaches prefer it a little warmer than that.

Back
Top Bottom