A new hope! - Found great LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Fed up with my local chain fish stores, the only places around me to get FW fish, I decided to take a short drive to a place I found online. I always like to scout out a store before buying a pet. This place was amazing! It's a little mom and pop place and everything was BEAUTIFUL! The tanks were crystal clear, the small furry guys were clean, and they had a large sign which read "All fish customers STOP (big red stop sign)! Your tank may not be ready for a new fish. You may not know about 1) the nitrogen cycle 2) fish comparability 3) proper fish care. If you would like any fish we would be happy to talk with you about your tank and you must bring in a water sample for testing before we will sell you any fish." even though I will have to drive 25 min to get here I think they will get ALL my business from now on.

Oh and as an added bonus they also have a small selection of used aquarium items! I have hit the jackpot! So happy I decided to come here today.

That is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! A responsible and caring store thats doing the RIGHT THING!!!! I wish i had a place like that near me!!!

That's so cool!!! I can't believe you actually found a place like that:). I'd make all my purchases there too!!!!

I really can't get over the excitement of finding the place. They have a banner in their window that says "better than a trip to the zoo!" HAHA! They also do educational children's parties. You pick the animals and they will bring them to the party and interact/ teach them about the animals. Also I can't get over the fact that they sell used equipment in nice condition! Okay, okay I'll stop talking about it now.

"All fish customers STOP (big red stop sign)! Your tank may not be ready for a new fish. You may not know about 1) the nitrogen cycle 2) fish comparability 3) proper fish care. If you would like any fish we would be happy to talk with you about your tank and you must bring in a water sample for testing before we will sell you any fish."

:agree:

so happy for you!

Weeeeeeeeeee, I'm in CT.... what's the name of the store?

I don't agree with their betta page, but really love the rest of their fish info. Thanks for the link. It's about an hour for us, but worth the drive, I think.

Stamford is also where House of Fins is. Fantastic store, but pricey.

Yes their betta fish were the only fall down. Although they looked a million times more healthy than any chain pet store bettas I have ever seen. they sold the little tiny bowls and containers for them. I think this is more of commonality they are trying to appeal to than anything else. It seems to be one of the first images that pops into the minds of non-aquria people, the betta or gold fish in a tiny bowl with a single fake plant.

Their bettas were all healthy looking and active. No clamped fins. and only a few flarings. It was still sad though.

They seem to actually be making a connection between the betta being a labyrinth fish and being able to live in a bowl. I dunno..... :nono:

ya, i see what you mean. i didn't check that page out before. But no one is perfect. Not making excuses, but how to keep bettas seems to be one of those topics that ignite fire under people for different things. Where as I don't agree with the practice of keeping them in tiny containers, I am not going to run into the store screaming either. It's so common a practice it's almost like bashing your head into a wall when you talk to anyone about it. :banghead:

Oh no, I'm just saying that I was a little surprised, given the fact that they appear to really have their stuff together when it comes to fish. Threw me off. :D

Back
Top Bottom