A Rainbow of Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoSvOrAx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came across a website selling mystery snails in a rainbow of colors.

http://www.thesnailstore.com/

Anyone done business with these people?
Anyone know if the colors are natural or dyed?

I'm going to pick up a few just to see, thought I'd see if anyone had some input first.

Those are natural colors - amazing huh ? I have four colors of mystery snails in my tank - black, blue, magenta and albino. Its quite interesting.

I have not worked with them, but I've heard they are very reputable.
Check out the applesnail.net forum. Lots of people over there have worked with them.

I want one of those Ivory Mystery Snails. That would looking pretty cool against black gravel.

burks you know the petsmart in spring meadows has ivory snails

im interested in some trumpet snails from that site, but i only have a debit card, how does their payment method work?

hc8719 said:
burks you know the petsmart in spring meadows has ivory snails

I didn't know that. It's been a while since I've been there. Thanks for the heads up.

Possibly a strange question, has anyone tried keeping a snail tank? I'm kinda looking at it as sort of a fun project but....? Thoughts?

Thats exactly what I'm doing.

10 Gallon
Aragonite Sand
Aquaclear 30 Power Filter

Currently have a massize blue female and a chocolate female along with 2 ivory males and a chocolate male. Two clutches of eggs have already hatched and there are about 100 tiny babies.

how long have you had it going? Do the babies show their colors right away or do they take a little while to color up?

Currently all the snails are in my 29G. Cycling the 10G for them now.
I've had the snails for a couple months.
As to the color I'm not sure, as they all look kind of a speckled white. Both clutches are from a blue female.

NoSvOrAx said:
Currently have a massize blue female and a chocolate female along with 2 ivory males and a chocolate male. Two clutches of eggs have already hatched and there are about 100 tiny babies.

This may sound like a dumb question but... how do you sex mystery snails???!

shayfish said:
This may sound like a dumb question but... how do you sex mystery snails???!

If 2 are mating the male is on top. Otherwise you look for the penis in the right side of the mantle cavity.

This is from applesnail.net:

How can I see if a have a male or a female apple snail?
A: A relative easy (?) way to determine the sex of an apple snail is by taking the snail out of the water, keep it on it's back and wait until the animal comes out of its shell. At that moment you have to take a look at the upper part of the right mantle cavity. Close to the edge of the shell, you can see the penis sheath starting (take a look at the anatomy to get an idea where to look for).
Some experience might be needed for this, but once you have seen the difference between the male and the female snail you'll find it less difficult to determine the sex of an apple in the future.
Another option is to wait until the snail copulate. When they're mating, the male snail creeps on the shell of the female and puts his penis in her. At that point you know that the one on top is the male and the other is the female.
The third way to differentiate the sexes is based on the fact that male snail have a rounder shell opening (aperture). In the case you are the lucky owner of several apple snails, you can compare the aperture height/width to determine the sexes of your snails.
There also is a fourth way: killing the animal and having a look at the inside. But I guess you prefer to keep your snails alive.

I guess that also answers my next question which was "why is one of my mystery snails always getting up on top of the other one?" [ / naive]
img_729613_0_6232b8725aabb5cdd14cee0538b2ee0c.jpg

I haven't dealt with the particular supplier but I've purchased 30 snails from one person - the snails are wrapped with such great care !
He'll be listing snails on eBay today or tomorrow. His eBay name is paradiseaquatics. Or he can be reached via eMail - if you'd like his email addy just PM me. I do recommend him (keep in mind that he can only sell in the States)

Back
Top Bottom