Where to Buy Snails Online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaAngelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been wanting to get more snails for my 36 Gal, and currently I have 2 nerite snails. I would really enjoy getting a few more nerites and some mystery or apple snails. The closest place I have near me that sells fish and snails is PetSmart, but they really aren't taking care of their fish (And other animals really, I've seen dead hamsters, birds, lizards, etc; most of their fish have a disease and I'd prefer to not bring that into my tank). Getting back on topic, is there a website where I can get them for a cheaper price online? I don't mind paying for shipping, but everywhere I go the price is astronomical; especially considering that snails overall don't cost that much. Is there a good place online that I can buy snails for a little cheaper? Thanks for any advice!

(Note: I bought my current fish and snails from a small business I had to drive almost 2 hours to get to, and I don't want to drive back there).

This site has a classified section, so that's a place to start. I've had success finding snails on ebay, both mysteries and nerites. What I look for is someone as close to me as possible (for example, I'm in New Orleans so I look for breeders in Texas and Florida). This way the live cargo won't have such a long journey, especially with the way mail seems to be taking a long time these days.

Most online breeders state that they ship on Mon-Tues only. That's so the package won't get stuck in a warehouse over the weekend and increase the chances of your new critters dying en route. So if you order on a Thursday, Friday, or any time over the weekend your order still won't be shipped until the following Mon-Tues.

I've found these small breeders to be very nice in answering questions and doing their best to fulfill exactly what you want. If you're looking for the largest blue mystery snail they have, for example, they'll tell you about their choices and do their best to send what you asked for. They will also sometimes send freebies. This is very nice, but know that if you have a small tank one extra snail could tip the careful balance you've set up (ph, poop, etc.). So if you're considering buying 2-3, and can't decide, maybe sticking with ordering 2 would be wise. If they send 3, wonderful. If they send the 2, well, you have a good thing going as you'd originally planned.

Also depending upon your location, check for a local Aquarium Society where there would be many members likely to have excess snails. Hobbyists you may find on local sales classifieds or a band site.

Also check ebay and reviews for sellers and how long they have been selling. They ship pretty easily. Just service with usps can go right or wrong, and it is a little gamble lately. Usually not too bad of a price. Local sellers you might find will give them away, or sell them for 1-1.50 each. If they are the colors you are looking for then paying more for local water raised, and not having to ship would be worth it to me.

Good luck!

The above suggestions are excellent. If you have to go online, I’ve had great success and customer service on plants at modernaquarium.com. I know they have snails listed. I’m not sure if the price is reasonable, but I trust them.

Back
Top Bottom