A sump and wet/dry filter question *lots of words*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I am working on a filter system for my 55g tank. I dont want to put anything in my tank basically. So my question is, if I get this wet/dry filter http://blujay.com/item/ProClear-Aquatics-SlimLine-60G-WetDry-Filter-wPrefilter-11160301-1313230 what else will I need to have it running. Also, can I put a smaller filter inside of the sump area for other tpyes of filtration? My main question is, I want a seperate sump. Ihave a 10g laying around and want to use it. the sump area on the wet/dry isnt big enough for a protein skimmer and such. So I was wondering, is there any way that I can connect the sump to the wet/dry? So the water in my main tank goes down into my wet/dry, and gets sucked up into my sump (which will be right next to it) and then from the sump, get sucked back into the tank. Is that possible? I know it is a big question, but I am just wondering what I will need. Thanks!

This is the same setup I have except my wet/dry and sump are one and the refugium (your sump) is separate. I have a 36W UV connected to a mag5 which is in the sump (your wet/dry) the return from the UV is plumbed to a spay bar in a 100gal refugium (your sump) a 2" PVC pipe connects the 2 tanks and my Skimmer is between them.

Thats a really nice system you have going. But I was looking for something a little more simple. I am now looking at this wet/dry http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13648&N=2004+22778 and not use a sump at all, use the sump space in the wet/dry. If I bought this wet/dry, what else will I need exactly. I know I will need a return pump, and an overflow. Will I need any other tubing or pipes?

Or do you think I should just set up my sump, and put a little filter inside of it? That would probably be cheaper, and easier (I think). I am really confused on what to do.

P.S. I just found this filter http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13648&N=2004+22778 and I think it is my best choice so far since it has the big sump are and all the types of filtration. LMK what else I will need with this, unless the other link I gave you is a better choice.

New question! I am getting this wet/dry+sump http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3589&N=2004+22778 This way, I can fit my skimmer, and maybe an extra power filter. My question with this is... if I got this right now, what else exactly would I need to have it running?

Also, I am going to be keeping live feeders in there (clams, crabs, maybe a few small fish, ect). So I am wondering if the sump area will be OK for medium length storage for these. I think this is the one I am getting for sure. Thanks!!!

I misunderstood your question. I thought you already had a wet/dry and was wanting to connect a 10 gallon tank to it for heaters skimmer etc. Personally I would build my own from a tote or spare tank before purchasing the second one you posted. It does not look to impressive. Maybe someone who has one knows differently.

I was also looking at both of those too.I was leaning toward the tidepool.keep me posted on which one you get.im interested on how it performs.

Ok, I have been researching ALOT on this. I have decided to get this wet/dry http://store.hurricanefilters.com/tywetdryfi1.html and I will hook up the return pump/hose to go to my sump (which will be right next to the wet/dry). And I will get a return pump from the sump into the main tank. I just need to know what pumps to get and what hose for the return into the main tank. Also, I have heard that the bioballs get really gunky and green. Is that bad? Do you need to replace them often? Does this wet/dry provide all the filtrations (bio, mech, and chem)? I will need all of those. If not, can I add a small powerfilter in the sump to provide those filtrations? Help me out here!!!

hmm.. what kind of setup are you thinking about?
FO, FWLR, high nutreint reef, low nutreint reef?
a wet/dry is likely not going to cover all your bases.. its primary design is for arobic biological filtration only..
anirobic biological, plant bio-mass biological, mechanical/protien solids removal, serilazation and chemical are not covered very well or at all.. of course not all types of filtration have to be used..
It sounds like some questions about general filtration system design would be in order?
most recomend a book for this material (Ive kinda gathered the information over the years from reading alot of diffent publications)

arobic biological would be wet/dry bioballs, biorings, skiltered glass, filter floss sponges and on and on and so forth.. (pretty much anything with surfase area)

anirobic biological would be your LR and or substrate (mostly conserning DSB or Jambert/Monico/Plenium method).. anything with low O2 surfase area (very simple explanation of whats going on)

mechanical (this goes along with the media that does arobic biological) anything that can trap particals pretty much..

proten/sludge removal.. protien skimming.. phisical removal of desolved protiens/fats solids and such.. hard to do any other way really..

plant bio-mass biological... refugium being the most common (macro algae cultureing to remove nutrients from the system by purning the algae) Ill try not to get into less common methods..

chemical filtetration.. most common.. carbon or purgen (*?*) removes unseen impuities and polishes the water..

serilization.. UV and ozone.. not as common as it once was, needs to be used with skimming chemical filtration to make the most of it.. using O3 and UV together is very sterilizing if your intrested in such methods..

Im not going into the pros and cons. I think there is plenty of oppinon's out there about that..

HTH

btw.. as far as DIY projects are conserned.. A wet/dry and or sump has to be one of the easiest projects I can think of.. I dont know if I would consider spending too much green one if you catch my drift.. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom