About 2 weeks in...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elitehunter1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm about two weeks into the new tank, and I've noticed a bunch of small feather dusters (I think that's what they are). The retract back into the rock if they are disturbed. Anyway, is this a good thing?!

I can't ( because I don't know how for one) ;) and also they are very small. Like smaller than the head of a q-tip, maybe a quarter of the size. On one rock there are probably 15 red ones and on another one there is a white one. The white one is a hair bigger. It's pretty cool to see them react to any disturbance but I wanted to make sure they are welcomed hitchhikers!

Actually it looks similar to some of those pictures. From the little bit I read on that link, looks like they are a bad thing. What would be a natural predator?

Most the time your going to end up having to deal with them yourself. Some peppermint shrimp will eat the small ones, but it is hit and miss. Same with butterfly fish, I would just kill them yourself. Google aiptasia anemone removal, there are several ways to go about it.

Lemon juice works great kill the pumps first and do a pwc after a couple of hours. Only kill a few at time. Just keep an eye on your levels. enjoy
Ps. Welcome to the world of saltwater

I have better luck with peppermint shrimp than with lemon juice, aiptasia x, or vinegar. If I am able to take the rock out and hit them with a lighter I do but most are on big rocks. Make sure the shrimp you get have dark black/brown eyes not green eyes and sway back and forth if you go the natural route. When I upgrade my one tank I am going to take my banded coral shrimp out and put in some peppermints. My BCS thinks peppermints are on a blue plate menu:eek: he actively hunts them down I have watched him do it. I wondered why my LFS never kept BCS with their peppermints.

Back
Top Bottom