Acclimating Livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same as other fish..

Best way is to get air line tubing and let the water drip into bag of fish until water has doubled...

I agree a drip acclimation or the old float the bag and add tank water every few minutes both should work.

I always use the "shock method". I open the bag pour it out into a net over the sink, then just dump, them into my tanks. sometimes too much ammonia builds up in the bags so floating them for a while before opening the bag works against fish.

I've never done the drip acclimation, all I do is float the bag for 10-15 min. and add the fish with some of water from the bag. Never had any fish loose color, stressed or die.

Never add the water to your tank. Especially when u get fish at ur lfs!! All kinds of pathogens can, make their way into your tank. A quarantine tank is a best bet for store bought fish.

Float and drop for shipped fish. Drip for local purchases. Ammonia is not going to build up in the bag if the fish are only in there for an hour or two... at least, not to dangerous levels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom