Ack! I think zuccini killed my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a dwarf puffer 10g and a community 10g with danios and cories. I put a piece of zuccini in each tank. I only saw one oto eat of the zuccini... what happens... one oto dies. Same day, 2 of my cories mysteriously die. Ammonia and nitrite at 0... all the other puffers, otos, danios and cories are acting fine and healthy. This stinks!

Nik

Did you wash the skin of the zucchini first ? it may have been treated with pesticides while in the field or with preservatives for market

joannde said:
Did you wash the skin of the zucchini first ? it may have been treated with pesticides while in the field or with preservatives for market

i know one person who thinks this is what killed his fish. he only feeds them organic food now.

I feed zucchini all the time, and have never had any fish die due to the zucchini, just get large, stuffed bellies, lol. But yes, if there was any peticides left on the skin, could have done it. And I do wash mine before I cut it open.

I buy organic vegetables for the fish, too. Not for US, mind you, but for the fish...

Mine get zucchini every week or so, to no ill effect.

Mine in two differant tanks ate zuccini... the only fish that died are the ones that I know ate the zuccini. The non bottom feeders in the tanks have been fine... and the bottom feeders that didn't die have been acting fine as well... I've even added more cories to the tank and they are fine.

Nik

I always skin and wash any foods I put in the tank to be sure no chemicals are left behind. I feed cucumber about once a week with no problems. Seems like there might have been some contaminants on the food...

You never answered whether or not you washed it before putting it into the tank/

kmgriff72 said:
You never answered whether or not you washed it before putting it into the tank/

I would have to imagine the answer is no only because it is the most probable cause.

I rinsed it but didn't scrub it and I left skin on... all other fish are still fine. Live and learn I guess :(

niks93gt said:
I rinsed it but didn't scrub it and I left skin on... all other fish are still fine. Live and learn I guess :(

Most pesticides wash off in even a quick rinse...hmm....hope its not something else...

How long did you leave it in there? Was it eaten, or rotting by the time you picked it out? It could be it caused a spike in params if it was left in there long enough, but if you took it out earlier I'd go with the theory of pesticides :(
It may also just be coincidental, fish do die mysteriously now and then while tankmates live on with no apparent sign of ill health.

Hopefully it was just a coincidence. The zuccini wasn't in either tank more than two days. The other otos, as well as all 3 dwarf puffers are perfectly healthy. The two living cories are fine and I've had them for a month +... and the danios are fine as well. I did replace the lost cories with two more... and one got stuck behind the rock. I saved him before he died but he isn't looking too well (this happened earlier today). The other new one seems to be fine. If these cories keep dropping, I'll just replace with some mystery snails and have a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece with the danios... or get more danios... they are real fun to watch.

Nik

Back
Top Bottom