Acropora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmonson

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get an acropora and I have a 6 bulb t5ho over a 65 gallon reef will this be enough light for an acro?

Do you have high PAR lamps in your fixture or are they the stock ones? The lamps definitely make a difference.

I believe there is 1 10000k 1 purple and 4 actinics

The brand makes a difference. ATI and Giesemann being the most potent. In many cases, the lamps that come with fixtures aren't that good. the numbers you mentioned are simply color temperature, not potency. If you have any trouble with the SPS, you can always put those lamps in to give your fixture a little more punch.

They are the stock ones that came with the fixture the fixture is an aquatic life

Yes, well, again, if you have trouble coloring up your SPS, or extra slow growth, I would replace the lamps with ATI blue plus, ATI aqua blue specials, and maybe a UVL Aquasun.

I'm going to jump in here with a Q for MrX.
I have a 4 bulb fixture that I'm going to change bulbs on. Giesemann is available and what I'll get. The fixture is an aqua life with 2 pairs of bulbs on separate timers. Here's what I'm thinking;

2 actinic plus on 1 timer,
1 midday on other
I am up in the air as to the final bulb. I am thinking a 3rd actinic plus or an Aqua Blue. I don't like the hue the pure actinic gives.

Thought or recommendations for the final bulb.

I am not familiar with the Giesemann lamps. I used some actinics fropm them but my experience have been limited to that. All I know is that they have decent PAR. I always ordered from Reefgeek. the price and shipping has been reasonable.
from them I would get 2 ATI blue plus, and 2 Aquablue specials.

The brand makes a difference. ATI and Giesemann being the most potent. In many cases, the lamps that come with fixtures aren't that good. the numbers you mentioned are simply color temperature, not potency. If you have any trouble with the SPS, you can always put those lamps in to give your fixture a little more punch.
KZ are beastly also, slightly higher PAR then ATI but some claim they are the same lamps so who knows, they are slightly more money but i use them and they not only push out the PAR but they are have a great color. my setup is 3 super blues and a fiji purple the blues allow flourescent colors to pop and also targets coral growth while the fiji purple helps and adds a bit of color to allow reds yelows and oranges to pop

see how blue things are
IMG_00000091.jpg

this is how the purple accents the reds and green of the hammer coral
IMG_00000090.jpg
IMG_00000071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom