Acrylic vs Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlederer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For those of you who may be wondering, just a word about acrylic vs. glass tanks. I have 20 tanks, only two are glass. IMHO, acrylic tanks are far better. They are much lighter weight, don't leak, and nearly impossible to crack. Only minor downsides are: they can scratch if you rub gravel against the glass (but scratches can be buffed out) and because the top isn't totally open (there is a rim all around and maybe a strut across the top), it makes cleaning and catching fish a little more challenging. They can be easily drilled if you want to add water in-and output plumbing. And they do not yellow, contrary to popular opinion. I've had a 90 gallon acrylic for 27 years and it's almost like new today.

Congrats, I like you're story. I may have to try acrylic. How thick is the acrylic?

The thickness of the acrylic depends on the size of the tank. As i remember, I had two thickness choices and I went with the thicker one. I believe 1/4 inch is ok up to 60 gallons and 3/8 inch up to 100-125, and so on. The top rim of the tank is thicker as it provides solid support to the sides.
I should mention, acrylic is considerably more expensive than glass but well worth it in the long run.

For those of you who may be wondering, just a word about acrylic vs. glass tanks. I have 20 tanks, only two are glass. IMHO, acrylic tanks are far better. They are much lighter weight, don't leak, and nearly impossible to crack. Only minor downsides are: they can scratch if you rub gravel against the glass (but scratches can be buffed out) and because the top isn't totally open (there is a rim all around and maybe a strut across the top), it makes cleaning and catching fish a little more challenging. They can be easily drilled if you want to add water in-and output plumbing. And they do not yellow, contrary to popular opinion. I've had a 90 gallon acrylic for 27 years and it's almost like new today.

I concur...... I LOVE acrylic tanks and specifically acrylic with rounded corners - the rounded corners are sooo nice.

acrylic certainly more user friendly tanks. problem with acrylic is finding short, wide, almost bookshelf sized aquariums that are good for planted systems.

A question for those who love acrylic tanks... How do you get mineral deposits off the above-water-level parts of the tank without damaging the acrylic? I use a razor blade to clean my glass hoods and braces, but I figure acrylic is too soft for that.

Just something that's always bugged me, and kept me from being willing to fork over that kind of money.

Mineral deposits, as well as scratches, can be buffed out of acrylic tanks. Use a product called Novus - it works wonderfully.

Buy some CLR. mix with water and put in spray bottle. use it as you would window cleaner

Personally, for the average person, I think glass aquariums are perfectly adequate. I would love to get an acrylic tank, but I can buy a tank at a dollar-per-gallon from Petco and have more money for fish and supplies later, plus everything I've read says that glass in addition to being somewhat easier to clean, is clearer for you to look through at the fish, has to do with the physics of light, but suffice to say, the glass does better.

Just my .2$

Back
Top Bottom