Cleaning the inside of the glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe_D

Aquarium Advice Freak
Much has been written about using a ""Magic Eraser" pad to clean the glass
Those who are afraid to use it might not realize how they clean.

The "original" magic erasers do not contain any sort of soap or cleaners and is aquarium safe. That goes for any other brand of it that that does not contain any soap etc.
They are made with tiny fibers arranged in a completely random interlocking fashion

However, the cross section of the fibers are not round or smooth, they have angles. It's the thousands of fibers with angles that do all the "magic" cleaning... not any chemical.
Just a small piece of it can make the inside of the glass as clean as new . You will be surprised at what it can easily remove.
I have found that it is the only thing that can completely remove any so-called " "brown algae" off the glass.
Of course you do not want to use it on an Acrylic aquarium .

Cleaing the inside of the glass

I’ve never had any problems other than coralline on the glass that couldn’t be removed with a mag float or a plastic card

I have a magnetic scraper and also a razor blade scraper but, neither one got the got the glass really clean .... only the ME git it very clean..

After all, clean glass means you can see everything more cleanly. :)

You can get the cheap generic brand at a a Dollar Store for $1
That what I do.
It's exactly the same as the high priced "Magic Eraser" brand.
Yes, a sponge will get the glass more of less clean but, a ME will get it completely clean .

BTW why do some think a ME in not aquarium safe but any sponge is?

Magic Eraser was highly recommended to me when I had my saltwater and reef tanks and worked like a champ for me since the intense lightning built up stuff on the glass quickly. Some feel the composition of ME was an issue or that it would scratch the glass, especially acrylic. As with any sponge or ME, one must be sure it doesn’t pick up any gravel or sand during the cleaning process which could scratch the tank. I currently use a sponge from one of my canister filters, is a bit less aggressive and works.

On thing I do is cut a piece of ME about an inch square and use my aquarium tweezers grabbing it to clean down to the gravel and close to plants etc.
Near the open surface etc, I just use the ME in my clean hand..

Like i said in my OP you do not want to uses it on acrylic .:)

Back
Top Bottom