actinic lights or just good lights ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

longbrro

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi there....im going to start my new bio cube soon.....BUT I DON'T HAVE small actinic lamp for my tank.....i only have OSRAM DULUX S 11/W 6500 kelvin lamp because it is fit into my tank hood.

do i have to buy actinic lamp....or are they any chance to have something similiar to actinic lamps.

can i have only led lights and throw the other lamps ???...the led lights are cool looking and smaller.

please help me im dying to have my nano tank working

The usual lighting for reefs is 10,000K white with blue actinic. 6500K is great for plants (or algae) and zooxanthellae, however due to the lack of of UV in it the corals on the corals will be very bland (although the corals will grow well).

you can buy a nanotuners kit for the biocube for leds( they arent cheap though), and unless you bought it used it shouldve come with a 24w coralife 10000k bulb and an actinic 24w coralife

so is it good ????

hi dear friends.....thanks for replay.

so after all ...the 6500 kelvin light is good ???

and you mean i dont want actinic light ?

I don't think that is what anyone said. If you use only 6500K lighting your corals will grow well but will be brown. The nice colors are pigment to block UV light (we tan brown, corals tan fluorescent colors). By using actinic or higher kelvin color lighting you will provide the light that will make the corals increase their coloration.

This is why reef keepers use 10,000K lighting or higher, usually supplemented with actinic.

In addition 6500K will ook very yellow on a reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom