active peacock won't eat - sunken belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a flavescent peacock - about fourth in the peacock hierarchy in the tank, who has had beautiful coloring for months. About three weeks ago he started coloring down just a tad and staying near the bottom of the tank. I figured it was because a flametail stuartgranti was passing him by size-wise and color-wise, but the latter doesn't seem to bother him.

Then I noticed he isn't eating his food. He swims around plenty, unlike the two other peacocks that I've seen die from a parasite in the last year who just stayed in one spot until they croaked. This guy goes after the NLS pellets, but he only holds them in his mouth for a second before spitting them back out. For three weeks now.

Interestingly, whenever I've tried to catch him he colors up again nicely. Today I finally caught him and he's nicely colored in his isolation chamber. But I think he's not eating still. His stomach is concave.

I figured I'd try daily salt baths with 1 Tbsp epsom salt in 1 gallon of water for 30 minutes.

Other suggestions?

My experience with this has not been a good outlook for the fish but you can try keeping the water on the warmer side of the range.

Does his mouth/ lips have any red marks scabs or blisters as I had a peacock do a smiler thing turn out to be a fungus infection from fighting!

Would daily salt baths help with fungus or just with parasites?

But I don't see any fungal white spots on his face.

Back
Top Bottom