ADA Aqua Soil:Which Dwarf Shrimp to Buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GulfShrimplet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Mods please delete

Please help me choose between snowball or blue pearl shrimp according to my parameters.

My water while alkaline (8.4 at home tap, LFS's tap water is 8.2) but soft. I don't yet have a test for hardness but our area is known forsoft water that is easy to lather soap.

I read a post on this site (I can't find it now) which stated that blue pearl shrimp require alkaline hard water which is not as alkaline as our water but which is harder. Here's the dilemma. The Aqua Soil will lower the pH to an acceptable range for BPS but may require minerals to harden the water for them. The Eco-complete will not make the water less alkaline but might not soften it either. I prefer the BPS to the snowballs the latter which I read are more tolerant of pH and hardness parameters.

Will the Aqual Soil be bad for BPS? How about E-C? And those options with the snowball shrimp? I have Aqua Soil shipping soon so I could some help right now.

Thanks!

Last edited:
:welcome: to the forum!

Really, either shrimp can be in the conditions you have. Neos are more adaptable to different conditions. I would go with Eco Complete if you still have the chance, Aquasoil is really overrated IMO. I honestly don't think a bag of "special" dirt is worth $50......But, if you've already ordered it, that's fine. I think either shrimp will be fine with it, and with the Eco.

Thanks Bud29 for the welcome and the advice.

I have a small tank so the AS would only cost me $34 shipping included but still almost twice the cost of the Eco-Complete which I have already received.

Very goo to know I can house the shrimp of my choice!

Back
Top Bottom