Adding a new filter- questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
my old filter broke. Just one bio wheel turns now. I bought another one to replace this. Should I leave the old one running for a bit? is it going to cause another cycle if I don't. How do I go about everything, I mean when can I remove the old one? or should I just take one of the cartridges out of the old one and put it in the new one?

If it is the same model just transfer the media from one to another. I'm assuming you have a mainland have you tried cleaning the wheels or changing them.

yeah its a marineland. I plugged the other in and put the new filters in it. I can transfer the old in there if i have to. I kept that one running. If that one is only running halfway and the new one I don't think it is so powerful that it will mess stuff up for my fish. I cleaned the old filter out and it really wasn't even that dirty, it still only does one wheel though. We'll see.

Just keep them both running for a month. If u think it's in your way you can just transfer the media.

Contact Petsolutions and see about ordering new bearings for your old filter. Thats probably all it needs. The plastic parts that the biowheel set in are the bearings. They wear from the wheel spinning in them. Thats one downfall to Penguin, or Emperor HOB's, besides having to buy replacement cartridges:(

Back
Top Bottom