Adding ammonia to tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok guys my tank has been cycling for 2 weeks or a bit more. I have not yet added ammonia but I am going to today. It's 45 gallon. People have just been saying add until you get to 4 ppm... Are we talking a few ml's, few tbs, or cups? I just want a rough guesstimate as I realize each tank mosh require something different. Any advice! Appreciated! Thanks!

Or should I just grab a few danios out of my established tank and put them in the new tank? Idk what would be better to do...

Having a fishless or fish-in cycle is up to you for the most part. Most likely those 2 weeks didn't do much since you didn't have any source of ammonia. I just used a straw and added drops of Ammonia until I reached my 4ppm, that way I'll know how many drops I need to dose my tank up to 1-2ppm and so forth for the future.

Thank you. I couldn't find any pure ammonia in town so for now I have added a pantyhose full of substrate, 4 plastic plants & filter sponge from established tank. I will look for ammonia in city tomorrow.

You're welcome :) I found it impossible to find pure ammonia in my town, apparently it's harder to get now after 9/11 (bomb ingredient). I had to get mine from eBay. Good luck! All that established stuff should help a great deal.

I actually used that calculator to see how it compared to what I had to use, but I would double check the amount and still add slowly since I had to use a little less than what it recommended. Nice score on the sponge filter from an established tank (y)

I am so anxious to just get this done, I want to bring my cichlids home!!!!!! I never researched anything when I set up my tropical aquarium. I let the tank (26 gallon) run for about 3 days then plopped my 3 fish from my 1.5 gallon in. No problems at all! Now that I have some knowledge and have done so much (maybe too much!) research I am so paranoid to bring my cichlids home too early. ?

It's probably better to add up to 2 ppm for starters. Super high nitrite spikes are a huge pain!

I agree. I started at 4pm as I'm planning to slightly overstock, and now my nitrites are sky high even after numerous water changes...

I am so anxious to just get this done, I want to bring my cichlids home!!!!!! I never researched anything when I set up my tropical aquarium. I let the tank (26 gallon) run for about 3 days then plopped my 3 fish from my 1.5 gallon in. No problems at all! Now that I have some knowledge and have done so much (maybe too much!) research I am so paranoid to bring my cichlids home too early. ?

I'm the same! I knew nothing anout nitrogen cycle when I first set up my 15g community tank. And those daily water changes were a pain! Now 6 weeks into my first fishless cycle and just can't wait to be done!

I'm the same! I knew nothing anout nitrogen cycle when I first set up my 15g community tank. And those daily water changes were a pain! Now 6 weeks into my first fishless cycle and just can't wait to be done!

6 weeks? Oh good lord... Idk if I can wait that long lol

been fishless cycling my 36g for about 2.5 weeks have 8 plants in the tank and have been spiking with 4pp ammonia- just got my first Nitrite readings of zero after spiking upwards of 5ppm- the tank was going from 4ppm Ammonia to 0 ppm Ammonia overnight with Nitrites of 5ppm and Nitrates of 20-40ppm for the last 2 days- finally got my 0 Nitrites so I can dose 1 more 4ppm Ammonia tonight and see if Ammonia and Nitrite go to zero tomorrow- then hopefully big water change to lower Nitrates and I should be good to go !

Take 1 gallon of tank water. Add, say 5 drops of ammonia and check ammonia level. Now get out your best school days maths and multiply it up for your tank capacity and the ammonia level you are aiming at. You only have to do this once and you will then have the number of drops required to raise the ammonia in your tank by the ppm you require. Hope that made sense - it's late!

Your cycle will be much faster since you have some established media from your other tank. Get it as close to/in with your new media as you can. It should only take a week or two.

Your cycle will be much faster since you have some established media from your other tank. Get it as close to/in with your new media as you can. It should only take a week or two.

+1!

I wish I had some of this when I first cycled!

Don't worry FishyNovice, once you do one cycle, the rest will be simple, because you can simply put your new filter on an established tank for a month, then move it onto your new tank. Then dose 4 ppm ammonia in the new tank, and check to see if it is fully cycled. You really don't actually cycle a tank, but the filter.

++1 (is there such a thing with the extra plus?)
I ran the new filter in an established tank for about nine days plus transferred half the media from an existing filter and it was converting 4 ppm ammonia to zero ammonia/nitrites in about 6 days in the new tank.
Point being, you have access to established media so you are ahead the game. If you cannot find pure ammonia, you might try the stinky route with one fresh, raw shrimp. Or fish food. Either way, place it in a nylon bag so that it will be easier to remove.

Back
Top Bottom