Adding another Angel to established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Already have a platinum angel around 4inches tall, in my 4ft 150L community tank. (Soon to be moved to a rio 180)
I really love the altum angels and would love to add one to my tank.
I know they can be very aggressive and territorial so would it be a bad idea to add another?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mmmm, yeah. Yeah, possibly a bad idea. I don't know about those two types (or colorations?) of FW Angels in particular, but I do know two will likely fight and opposite genders may mate.

I had a pair on koi Angels in a community tank for years. Once they grew up and started spawning they ate/killed/harassed the rest of their tank mates until they basically had it to themselves. That was a planted, appropriately and lightly stocked community tank of 55 gal. These took the cichlid part of their description and went extreme with it. Beware that's possible with breeding Angels.

What else is in your tank already?

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

This was Diane, Jack's not in the pic! ;). You can see their fry all over.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424173002.293757.jpg

I currently have a nice peaceful community, some may say its overstocked but in the 4ft tank they all have plenty of room and their own space, I check water parameters every 2 weeks and change 40% each week, levels are always perfect and I have never had a problem with aggression etc.

I may however need to re-home some when I move over to my rio 180 as it isn't as long and I may then encounter some territorial problems...

Currently I have:

1x platinum angel
1x dwarf gourami (thinking of rehoming)
1x keyhole cichlid (thinking of rehoming)
2x bn plec
1x ruby shark
5x cherry barbs
6x harlequin rasboras
5x albino corys

Thats a beautiful angel :)

:flowers:Thanks! Really were a gorgeous couple, but man, were they territorial!

I'm not sure about some of the fish combos you have. You have the right idea about re-homing the cichlid and the gourami.

Good luck and keep us updated. :)

This is my angel at feeding time :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424429240.259484.jpg

Yeah I think I will re-home them after I switch the tanks, hopefully this will be soon really cant wait to have my new setup!!

So do you think it would be a bad idea to add another angel ?

Wow. That is one beautiful fish! Well deserving of the title!!

Adding an angel to a tank with an angel already might be tricky. If you are absolutely *positive* about the gender of the fish you have, and you got another of the opposite gender and the same size, they might get along and pair up.

If they pair up peacefully, they may not be very peaceful if they start breeding. Then you may have my community tank from Hell. Be prepared to re-home at any point in the process.

Personally, I'll never get another angel pair until I can dedicate a tank to them (maybe with Cories on the bottom, but that's it!) If I didn't think my hubby would leave me, I really would like to keep an eye out for a tall tank on Craig's list.

Look at the articles on AngelsPlus.com. That might help you out.

Thank you he is my fave :) well maybe apart from my betta as he was my 1st love! Haha

Yeah I think I will leave him as he is for now he seems happy so why disturb him :)

Might have to be a job for another tank!!

Back
Top Bottom