adding corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishDan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g reef tank it's on it's 4 month 3in of LS and 70pounds of LR. I will add 20 more pounds of LR in july. This is what i need help with I would like to add corals to it but i have low light 40w for now. In july i will add a coralife light that will push 260w. And im looking to add tridacna clams one day. So is they a coral that can go in low and high light ?? i have some snails and a percula clown in they to.

I'm not sure I understand the question. There are several corals that thrive in low or no light, but non-photosynthetic corals are not recommended for beginners, I do not think there are any photosynthetic corals that will do well under a single 40W flo. tube in a 55g tank. When you say you are upgrading to 260W, what type of light is it? If NO flo, there are several corals that would do well under that lighting, but I would not recommend trying clams, unless you go with alot of PC, VHO or MH lighting.

sorry for the dumb ? that light will be 50/50 10,000kand half actinic i think? I/m looking for some life and color to add to my tank im new to all this :(

Not a dumb question at all, I just didn't understand it, by type, I meant will it be NO (normal output) florescent, PC (power compact florescent), VHO (Very high output flouresceant) or MH (metal halide). From the wattage I am assuming it is 2 X 110W VHO + the 40W you have now would give you 260W. If that is correct, there are plenty of Soft corals, LPS (large polyped stoney) corals and some SPS that you can keep, but I don't recommend clams with the exception of possibly a T. squamosa.

I think if you are wanting clams, you should go with Metal Halides, I hear so many failure with PCs and VHO

reefrunner69 do u know a website that i can find the light that i need for my 55g reef tank so i can put clams in it ??

You can look at any of the online retailers, or if your handy and not scared of electricity, you can do a DIY MH. I would recommend 2 X 175W minimum for a 55g tank, if you want to keep the T. maximas and T. croceas.

Back
Top Bottom