Adding salt??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a quick question, if I'm looking to add as a medication how much should I add. It's to help an otto with popeye. I also have corys in the tank.
Looking to do a big water change shortly and add then.
Thanks fishy friends! :D

For API Aquarium salt it is tablespoon for every 5Gallons.

Please see your other thread. You cannot use full dosage of salt with the species you have.

Adding Salt to a Freshwater Tank

Just a quick question, if I'm looking to add as a medication how much should I add. It's to help an otto with popeye. I also have corys in the tank.
Looking to do a big water change shortly and add then.
Thanks fishy friends! :D

Hello mae...

The best remedy for a potential fish ailment is a little heat, salt and a lot of warm, treated water flushed through the tank for a couple of weeks.

I'd suggest using just a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of your water change water. This trace of salt will kill most fish pathogens and boost the fishes' immune system. However, tropical plants and some fish are very sensative to dissolved salt in the tank water, so that's the reason for the smaller dose of salt.

I'd increase the temperature in your tank to 80 degrees and remove and replace half the tank water every two to three days for a couple of weeks.

Your water change water should be slightly warmer than the tank water, no more than 5 degrees difference. I keep my tanks at 76 degrees and use 80 degree replacement water. The water should feel slightly warm to the touch.

The combination of heat, lots of warm, pure treated water and a little salt for a couple of weeks should help.

B

Ok thanks. I shall look t what everyone has told me and decide which course to take! Do you recommend meds also??

Ok thanks. I shall look t what everyone has told me and decide which course to take! Do you recommend meds also??

Hello again mae...

I don't recommend using medications or chemicals of any kind. SeaChem's Prime is about the only thing I put in my tanks.

B

Ok thanks. One of my other ottos has started getting red around the eyes so hopefully I can stop the illness now :(

Back
Top Bottom