Adding Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I had a fish only tank going for about 3 months. yesterday, I removed all my fishes and live rock into a quarantine tank and also removed about 50% of the tank water in a separate container. I introduced live sand (10 lb) + caribbean playsand (50 lb) into the tank. The water is right now very cloudy and almost white. I say almost white cause I do see some algae growth stuck to the tank.

How long does it take to clear up?
Should I switch off the filter to allow the particles to settle down?
Is the sand combo ok or do I introduce more live sand? I thought I can do fine with it cause the tank was already cycled. Lemme know

Thnx

Post split for better exposure.. :wink:

When adding new sand to an established or new tank, the results are pretty much the same. You will get some cloudiness due to the fine dust particles in the sand. Regaular base sand will also not have the added weight of bacteria to help settle it faster and does take additional time.

I would leave the filter going as is. It will actually improve the water quality faster. Feep the media clean as it will "clog" and reduce efficiencey. The skimmer (if used) will also help remove the particles.

Did you place the LS on top of the playsand or where they mixed? How many inch's of sand where already in the tank and how much depth was added with the new 60lbs of sand?

If increase too quickly, you may have also inadvertantly smothered the aerobic bacteria and could be experiencing a bacterial die off bloom. Sand should really be added only about ½" per day (for an established tank) to allow the animals and bacteria in the old sand time to adapt. Running the tests for water quality may answer that.

Cheers
Steve

when to add live sand

Thnx for responding to my post.

Initially I had only crushed coral as a substrate as I did not plan to move to reef anytime soon..however I am now ;)

I have around 3'' of playsand on top of which I distributed the live sand. Also, saved around 5-8 gallons of the cycled water in a separate container and then refilled the tank with fresh water. ALmost similar to making a 80% water change. I am hoping that once the water clears I will put the 5-8 gallon water in it + the live sand should kick in and kind of make the whole tank water a bit more stable.. wishful thinking but thats what I am hoping to achieve

Lemme know ur thoughts on this..

thnx

So we are instead talking a complete substrate swap then?

Keep tabs on the water quality but it should be safe to place the LR and animals back in the tank. They quite honestly won't be harmed by the sediment, mabye just a bit disorienting though.

Unless a tank is contaminated or for other emergency related reasons, I would not really suggest such a large water change in future. Adding that much freshly mixed water has a nasty habit of skewing the otherwise stable tank parameters. With all the animals removed the way you did, that will not cause any harm though.

You may find this recent arcticle on >>substrate swapping<< to your liking....

Cheers
Steve

substrate

Hi Steve,

Yep. absolutely right. I will definitely be on the lookout for any ammonia spikes.

Anyway, things are much better now. My bicolor angel acted a bit funny in the begining when I introduced it back in the tank but now is doing ok. Eating as well..

Now the next step is setting up with more live rocks/invertebrates .. the fun part..

Hey btw, I have one 25 watts 100% actinic and the other 25 watt 20,000K light. Do you think they are okay for a 29 gallon tank. Atleast for some type of invertebrates. Also would the live rock blossom in it?

I will obviously go through the other forums here but thought lemme get ur input..

thnx for all ur help

Re: substrate

razman said:
Now the next step is setting up with more live rocks/invertebrates .. the fun part..
Good to hear all went well with the swap. Just be mindful to re-cure all new LR you may add in the future. That will definately muck with the tank's water quality.

Hey btw, I have one 25 watts 100% actinic and the other 25 watt 20,000K light. Do you think they are okay for a 29 gallon tank. Atleast for some type of invertebrates. Also would the live rock blossom in it?
The spectrum and wattage of the 2 bulb types are fine for the LR and the growth of the coralline but will not really allow you to add corals. You may be able to get away with some shrooms placed high up, but other than that not really.

Mobile inverts however do not need special lights if I missunderstood... :?:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom