ADF Food, Feeding Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my ADF for 2.5 months now in a 10g community. Soon he'll be moving to a 30g community (with all his 10g friends). He seems to be fed well enough, but I'd like to know for sure.

Currently, I feed the whole tank a small pinch of flakes twice a day (I've seen my ADF munch on a flake on rare occasion). Then, I feed one whole cube (which is a TON for a 10g) of thawed frozen brine shrimp once a week. I give so much brine shrimp because I worry that's all my ADF eats for the week.

I do have HBH Frog & Tadpole Bites, and I used to drop 5 of those in there every other day, but I've never seen him go for them. Even if I placed two at his nose he would scoff and turn away. The bites did mostly disappear, but I think the swordtail ate them (he's weird). Also, the bites that went uneaten swell up and look really gross after a day. So, I stopped feeding the bites.

Am I doing this wrong? If so, please advise!

Ok well I keep them in a species only tank because I found they are prone to starving when kept with fish. That being said, whether or not you have them in a community setting, I think they need to be fed at the same place every day. Whatever peice of decor they go in most, put the food in there every day. They are nearly blind so this really helps them because after a while they learn this is where the food is and when they catch the smell or hear/feel you feeding they will go right to that spot where the food always is. Flake is not ideal for them. I feed mine frozen bloodworms every other day rotating with the frog bites. Brine shrimp is fine but it makes a bigger mess and is harder to place (and get it to stay) in their feeding spot.

Back
Top Bottom