ADF Tank Size/Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beandoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about getting an African Dwarf Frog. What size tank do I need? And what do they eat?

You can keep them in something as small as a 2.5 gallon. Ideally, a 5 gallon more is the best for them. You really don't want a high tank because the frogs will go the surface to breathe and with them not being very strong swimmers it would be hard for them to reach the top. Anything under 10" high is fine. As for filtration, you should treat the frog just like a fish in the aquarium. So a filter that can turn the water over at least 2 time an hour. Most people like to feed them bloodworms and pellets. These frogs are blind for the most part so they may have a hard time finding food searching on the bottom. To solve this you might need a pair of long tongs to stick the food right in front of them so they can eat. It is best not to keep them in a community tank because of the fact that the fish will eat the food before the frogs have a chance to eat. Be warned, they do sing at night so I don't suggest putting the tank in your room unless you're a good sleeper ;)

I've read as much as 20 inches is still okay for them.

Very poor eyesight so in a community tank will need to be directly fed.

I've had bad luck with them in the past so if you have a reliable source other than a chain store that would be great for these guys.

Caleb

Mine are in a 18 inch high community tank for over a year now. They get to top no problem. They do 'sing' but it's a very faint croak and not all the time, just mating I think. They like company so would suggest 3+. They like plenty of things to hide in and under. Be careful of large rocks that their legs could get caught under. Sand is better than gravel. They like large leafy plants that they can sit on the leaves. Mine way bloodworm, brine shrimp, sinking pellets (the small ones) and algae wafers. Mine have no trouble pushing everyone else out of the way for food but I've heard others struggle. As mentioned above, target feeding might help but I've never had this problem. They are very peaceful and amusing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom