Adjustable heater recommended?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I'm in the middle of a frustrating fish-in cycle on a 10 gallon tank. If I were able to go back in time, I definitely would have gone fishless. But here I am. I'm still seeing steady ammonia levels with no sign of nitrite yet. I've had the tank running for a month now. Although, to be fair, I switched to a better filter (Aquaclear 30) two weeks ago, so I think that pretty much started it over.

I realized today that the one piece of equipment in my setup that may be lacking is my heater. It is a "plug in and forget" style that Petco was having a sale on. You cannot set the temperature. It keeps it pretty steady between 77 an 78 F according to my thermometer on the other side of the tank.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a "settable" style? Would it help my BB growth if I kicked it up to 79 or 80? Or am I just grasping at straws in my impatience? :)

IMO the temperature wont shorten cycle. I would recommend a quality heater. I had a heater like yours stick on and cooked my 9 gallon. Also the cure for ICH is to raze the temperature. A temperature controller is a good safety net too. Good luck!

I would personally get a new heater just because if anything malfunctions with this one, you would be in severe trouble. Around here there's a lot of love for Aqueon heaters. I like the professional series with no glass (meaning they absolutely cannot break) but the glass ones are great as well!

I like the reviews I'm seeing on the Aqueon Pro heaters. I'm wondering if I should get the 50 watt or go ahead with the 100 watt. Does anyone have the length dimensions on these?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom