Advice for a filter on a budget...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anna0219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I have been asking lots of questions about a new 5.5g tank, but I think I have decided on picking out three lovely female bettas for it.

So far I have a heater and the decor and such all set up, but I still need a filter. Some have recommended the AquaClear filter to me, but the problem is I am a poor college student and I have to be mindful of my budget. While they are obviously really nice filters, they are also more expensive and I want to do the best I can within financial limits.

I was looking into other filters, and I have been reading about the Tetra Whisper filter, which is less expensive (and looks like it might be less bulky in my not-so-very-big tank) but I'm worried that it would create too strong of a current for my bettas.

Anybody have any advice? I know it may not be the BEST, but would it be good enough? I don't want to buy it only to find my bettas are blowing away and waste money having to buy two. But even if you think the AquaClear is better, do you think that the Tetra would work?

I will check more into the price differences but I'm trying not to go TOO crazy.

Thanks!

Oh, I don't have an exact price point, but I was just wondering if there was anything in the slightly cheaper range, you know?

I just thought that the AquaClear ones were a bit significantly more expensive, but I will check them out and see what I can find.

I might try putting something in front of it if it seems too strong with the Whisper filter if I end up with that. Thanks for your suggestions, dkpate! You've been really helpful for me. :)

Check out those links I posted. :)

You can get plastic mesh at Walmart for $3 for 6 sheets. And then you can just tie it on with fishing line.

I've got a little Top Fin 10 in my 10 gallon betta sorority tank. It does just fine. If you're concerned about current and cost, a little bubble up foam filter might be a good idea.

I'm not familiar with the Tetra filters, but the ACs are worth the extra money. The cartridgeless design is much nicer and cheaper to maintain. All cartridge filters tend to plug up really quickly and the cartridges are aren't designed to hold up for long. The manufacturers want you to buy more cartridges. Look at foam filters and an air pump if you're really strapped for cash. Read up on fishless cycling and hold off on getting the fish. It's definitely worth the wait to go fishless. Much less stressful for both you and your fish.

Bettas do ok in a tank with some current. I have an AquaClear 70 on my 29g and my bettas do well. They hide in the corners for a few days, but once they're used to the flow they're all over the place.

I'd also think really hard about putting three bettas in a 5.5g. Females are smaller in the store because they sell them younger. They get just as big and maybe a little bigger than males.

I see - I'm a little confused about how the cartridge-less filter works. So for an AquaClear filter, what do you have to do as far as maintenance? I get how the cartridges work and how you have to change them.

It's good to know that in the long run, it might be less expensive to have the AquaClear. So do I have to buy anything regularly to keep up the AquaClear?

And yes, I am considering the foam filter as well.

The ACs use a sponge, biomedia, and optional carbon. I don't run the carbon and I rinse the sponge and the biomedia in a bucket of old tank water when I do a water change. I clean the filter about once a month. You can use the sponge until it's falling apart. You don't have to buy anything regularly.

HI ANNA you can get good deal AQUA CLEAR ON E BAY NICE FILTER'S EASY TO CLEAN .

Back
Top Bottom