Advice Needed! 30 Gallon Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICoolGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
So how is this for my 30 Gallon Long. Please help me and tell me about incompatibility or any other problems or what should I add or deduct.

P.S I am new to the hobby and this will be my first tank.

AquStockImage.php

I'm not sure about the temp compatibility of neons and danios with the rest of the fish because their ideal temp is low 70's and I believe the other fish are high 70's. Not saying it won't work, just check on the temp requirements before you do it. And remember that you don't want fish to be on the very low or very high end of their acceptance temperature range. This can cause stress and early death.
For schooling fish, you want a group of at least 6. Cories are shoaling fish, and they also need groups of 6 or more. This is to prevent stress and encourage fish to show off their natural behavior instead of hiding. I wouldn't do all three schools. Take out Harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, or zebra danio.
Make sure all of the guppies are male or you'll get overrun with fry pretty quick. A lot of them would get eaten, but some will still survive. Best to not risk it.

So maybe:
8-10x schooling fish
8-10x schooling fish
6-8x Cory (check temp requirements- sterbai, bronze, albino are warm water)
3-5x male guppy
10x shrimp
1x dwarf gourami
2x nerite snail or 1x mystery snail

This will be fully or slightly overstocked, so 40-50% water changes a week. You can keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and that will give you a good indication of whether you're changing enough.

Also, aqadvisor is a fun little tool but doesn't always account for temperature compatibility, bioload (amount of waste a fish produces), or the amount of swimming room different fish need.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thanks Megg I will consider that and do more research about the temprature. Do you think it would be a good idea if I put alot of neon instead of the other schools. For Example: 20 neons and no other school?:thanks::thanks:

Thanks Megg I will consider that and do more research about the temprature. Do you think it would be a good idea if I put alot of neon instead of the other schools. For Example: 20 neons and no other school?:thanks::thanks:
Yes, but I might stick closer to 15. It's best to start out with an understocked tank. The water quality will be better and it will require less maintenance. If you decide later on that you've got a good understanding and don't mind a bit more maintenance, you could add more fish.
Understocked tanks are easier to care for, overstocked are a bit more effort.

I would avoid Zebra Danios. They are very zippy and can be little bullies in some tanks.

Your shrimp will need a lot of dense plants to hide in or they may be picked on.

Don't stock to 100%. Stock less in case you miss a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I largely agree with the advice here. Neons can be rather delicate in a new tank, however (and as I've learned :rolleyes: ), so I might go with the danios and the rasboras and eliminate the neons. Along with the dwarf gourami, you'll have more of an Asian theme. As for danio aggression, my experience has been that, if kept in large enough groups (7-10), they'll largely confine their chasing behavior to each other. Other folks might have had different experience, of course. :cool:

One other suggestion: once your cycle is done, don't add your fish all at once. Start with one species at a time and give your biofilter time to adjust before adding more -- say, a week to two weeks. Then add another group, wait, rinse and repeat. And if you're going to have large-ish schools (ten danios, ten rasboras), I'd add five at a time. Perhaps overly-cautious of me, but better than stressing you and your fish. Danios are hardy: I'd start with them. :)

Back
Top Bottom