Advice on Ammonia - new Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishang

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I had a leaky tank and was forced to empty, clean and reseal my 50G Tank. So I was forced to add the fish without full cycle. I used API and Seachem Equilibrium to get the tank going and added the fish back in after 2 days. I'm in day 6 now and can't get the Ammonia down below 2 or 3 ppm. Nitrite are zero and Nitrates are about 10 ppm. PH 7.6 Temp 31celsius.

Should I be worried about the Nitrite levels? What are your suggestions on lowering this, if you think it is high (I don't want to do water changes as I am trying to build bacteria population by daily add of Seachem Equilibrium)?

I have discus in there so I am concerned. This is bare bottom tank with some driftwood and couple of ornaments.

Thanks.

I'm in day 6 now and can't get the Ammonia down below 2 or 3 ppm. Nitrite are zero and Nitrates are about 10 ppm. PH 7.6 Temp 31celsius.

Should I be worried about the Nitrite levels? What are your suggestions on lowering this, if you think it is high (I don't want to do water changes as I am trying to build bacteria population by daily add of Seachem Equilibrium)?

I have discus in there so I am concerned. This is bare bottom tank with some driftwood and couple of ornaments.

Thanks.
Since your nitrite is at zero, don't think you can lower it any farther. Your ammonia can be reduced by at least a 50% water change to get it below 3 ppm. just make sure you add your de-chlorinator. Equilrium does nothing except empty your wallet.

Since you have fish, you should follow the Fish-In-Cycling information here.

U said in post nitrite zero ? Please clarify

Yes - API test shows zero Nitrite, but Nitrates are there. I take it the Nitrites are converted quickly, but not Ammonia.

I just did a 50% water change last night and added some safe followed by another dose of Equilibrium 1 hour later.

Since your nitrite is at zero, don't think you can lower it any farther. Your ammonia can be reduced by at least a 50% water change to get it below 3 ppm. just make sure you add your de-chlorinator. Equilrium does nothing except empty your wallet.

Since you have fish, you should follow the Fish-In-Cycling information here.

Sorry I meant what can I do to control Ammonia (not Nitrites).

Water changes. They shouldnt effect your fish in cycle, bacteria doesnt live in the water, it lives on surfaces like your filter media, substrate, glass, decorations etc. At least it mostly lives on surfaces, a tiny amount will be in the water.

Lowering ammonia from 3.0ppm down to 0.5ppm via water changes will naturally lengthen the cycling process, but your fish wont be living in toxic conditions while you do so. You should be looking to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm.

Seachem equilibrium wont do anything for establishing a cycle. Its for remineralising RODI water. You may be getting equilibrium mixed up with stability which is a biological booster. Stability "may" help, these products are very hit and miss.

Water changes. They shouldnt effect your fish in cycle, bacteria doesnt live in the water, it lives on surfaces like your filter media, substrate, glass, decorations etc. At least it mostly lives on surfaces, a tiny amount will be in the water.

Lowering ammonia from 3.0ppm down to 0.5ppm via water changes will naturally lengthen the cycling process, but your fish wont be living in toxic conditions while you do so. You should be looking to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm.

Seachem equilibrium wont do anything for establishing a cycle. Its for remineralising RODI water. You may be getting equilibrium mixed up with stability which is a biological booster. Stability "may" help, these products are very hit and miss.

Yes you are right, I'm using Stability - I misspoke. I find it odd that I am not getting any nitrites, despite running this for a week now, but still have elevated Ammonia at 1 ppm with 2x 50% water changes so far in a week. I am only feeding enough so there are no left overs. A small pinch of granule in the morning and one cube of blood worm in the afternoon. There are 4 small discus (2"), 1 small clown loach (3"), 2 very small pleco (2"), 10 Cardinal tetra (1/2"), 1 guppy.

Its looks like you have stronger nitrite to nitrate bacteria than ammonia to nitrite. When your ammonia consuming bacteria really kick in they might overtake the nitrite consuming bacteria and you will then see nitrite. If you completely lost your cycle, it will take several weeks to get back. Do you know anyone who keeps fish and could let you have some established filter media? That would be the best boost you could give it.

Back
Top Bottom