advice on changing tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I'm going to be moving my betta to my 60litre tank need to do this quickly his 26litre is no good anymore, his light broke & I can't get parts for it tried making my own but not successful! The filter is having probs too. Could I put my media from my big tank into my 60 filter? All deco, sand & plants will be going in with him. The only good thing thats come out of this is my betta is going to have lots of room lol any advice is great :)

IMO if the filter is performing poorly I would move everything to the new tank and place as much media from your old filter into your new filter and test daily for any spikes.

You know the drill by now. Lol. Anything above 0.25ppm for Amm or Trites do a PWC to keep your Betta from harm.

Other than this there isn't much else you can do if your existing filter cannot be moved also.

Jon

Thanks jon, that's exactly what I'm going to do, I'm was hoping to add his existing filter to the tank as well as the new one but I'm just going to see if it will start again after being turned off when I switch. I,ll keep a close eye on my paras. Cheers

shellyx said:
Thanks jon, that's exactly what I'm going to do, I'm was hoping to add his existing filter to the tank as well as the new one but I'm just going to see if it will start again after being turned off when I switch. I,ll keep a close eye on my paras. Cheers

No worries. Sometimes it helps to get a second opinion on your own thoughts just incase you miss anything. Keep us posted.

Good luck.

Jon

IMO if the filter is performing poorly I would move everything to the new tank and place as much media from your old filter into your new filter and test daily for any spikes.

You know the drill by now. Lol. Anything above 0.25ppm for Amm or Trites do a PWC to keep your Betta from harm.

Other than this there isn't much else you can do if your existing filter cannot be moved also.

Jon

+1 on the above. Your betta will be in heaven!

shellyx said:

If the filter doesn't start when you flick the switch and turn it on you can bump start the motor by simply flicking the propeller round and it should kick back into life :)

...joey... said:
If the filter doesn't start when you flick the switch and turn it on you can bump start the motor by simply flicking the propeller round and it should kick back into life :)

Thanks I,ll give it a go. Got my tank out cleaned it & going for more sand. Going to run it over night to make sure all ok. :)

shellyx said:
Thanks I,ll give it a go. Got my tank out cleaned it & going for more sand. Going to run it over night to make sure all ok. :)

Let me know if it works other wise from that it sounds like you know what you are doing post a pic once it settles :)

The tanks all working, but it's still cloudy with the sand, is it safe too add my betta? I think it,ll be ok but what do you think? Thanks

If it's only alittle cloudy it should be okay but if it were me I would do a 50% WC first. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thats fine, also adding his existing filter on until his new one has been running for a couple of months. Thanks :)

Well here he is in his new tank & loving it! All went well & thanks for helping guys :)

ForumRunner_20121008_112649.jpg

shellyx said:
Well here he is in his new tank & loving it! All went well & thanks for helping guys :)

Looking great.

Just a thought! Be carefull of the radiator and ambient heat from it affecting your water temp.

I bet he's SO happy!!!!

Jon

shellyx said:

Looks real nice only thing left to do is breed him :)

jondamon said:
Looking great.

Just a thought! Be carefull of the radiator and ambient heat from it affecting your water temp.

I bet he's SO happy!!!!

Jon

Turned my heater off thanks. He's very happy :)

_skyla_ said:
Awww what a beautiful home for him :) now I've got the guilts that mines in the 5g chi haha

Thank you, still not sure about his deco think I need another trip to my lfs lol I'm sure your betta is very happy :)

Back
Top Bottom