Advice on fish/inverts to stock for breeding/sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
animalzrok2 said:
personally id get some blue tigers. also for fish id get a +55 and stock it will different livebearers and cories. it would be like a breeding factory. lol

I don't know if I am allowed to go that big... LOL. Aren't blue tigers or tiger shrimp hard to find?

imo tigers aren't but blue tigers can be a little more difficult. btw if you decide to breed the blues, make sure to separate the blondes.

animalzrok2 said:
imo tigers aren't but blue tigers can be a little more difficult. btw if you decide to breed the blues, make sure to separate the blondes.

What do you mean "blondes"? The normal tiger shrimp? Of course I would... LOL. Probably one species of shrimp per tank unless it's something that won't interbreed.

maxwellag said:
I will have multiple suppliers. My Petsmart isn't bad but I will still avoid them. I have a lot of good LFSs in the area, and I will also order stuff online.

Arent you going to need to have some pretty steep prices to make a profit from shipped fish and high quality lfs fish?

It sounds like you're basically making yourself a second or third middleman. By supplier, we usually mean a breeder you're getting your fish directly from. But that aside, how many of these fish have you actually bred already to full viability?

If you want to sell plants on a market scale, you'll need full co2 in every tank and probably should consider setting up a large scale emersed setup.

Gboy66 said:
Arent you going to need to have some pretty steep prices to make a profit from shipped fish and high quality lfs fish?

I am not going to charge that much for fish and stuff.... But rare plants like dwarf baby tears, maybe. I'm more doing this for fun that profit.

maxwellag said:
I am not going to charge that much for fish and stuff.... But rare plants like dwarf baby tears, maybe. I'm more doing this for fun that profit.

I gottcha, but you wont be able to charge much, and wont make much. Even if it is for fun, its alot of work for minimal reward IMO.

If i were you, i would stick to breeding my bolivians, getting some nice colonies of shrimp in densly planted CO2 injected tanks, and sell them here on AA/the LFS.

You will have an easier time and make more money IMO

aqua_chem said:
It sounds like you're basically making yourself a second or third middleman. By supplier, we usually mean a breeder you're getting your fish directly from. But that aside, how many of these fish have you actually bred already to full viability?

If you want to sell plants on a market scale, you'll need full co2 in every tank and probably should consider setting up a large scale emersed setup.

I will have co2 on all my tanks soon. I bred guppies to full availability many times. Another reason I am doing this is to create new supply "channels" throughout the Midwest. Most Midwest states that are farther up north are too cold to ship from farther away states like Florida and California.

Gboy66 said:
I gottcha, but you wont be able to charge much, and wont make much. Even if it is for fun, its alot of work for minimal reward IMO.

If i were you, i would stick to breeding my bolivians, getting some nice colonies of shrimp in densly planted CO2 injected tanks, and sell them here on AA/the LFS.

You will have an easier time and make more money IMO

That's what I was planning on doing, never or rarely selling locally. I would rather sell them to aquarists that are more exposed to correct information on here (I read some fish store employees' bad experiences). It is also a lot of fun to ship fish, plants and inverts.

maxwellag said:
That's what I was planning on doing, never or rarely selling locally. I would rather sell them to aquarists that are more exposed to correct information on here (I read some fish store employees' bad experiences). It is also a lot of fun to ship fish, plants and inverts.

Yea! Just go for the easy stuff to sell, and youll do well.

Oh..and tell when your up and running:p

Gboy66 said:
Yea! Just go for the easy stuff to sell, and youll do well.

Oh..and tell when your up and running:p

I sure will!! My mom filed taxes and is hopefully gonna get a large refund off of them, so she will give me some money as a bonus, so I will be able to order everything soon and be running faster (I hope)

maxwellag said:
I will have co2 on all my tanks soon. I bred guppies to full availability many times. Another reason I am doing this is to create new supply "channels" throughout the Midwest. Most Midwest states that are farther up north are too cold to ship from farther away states like Florida and California.

I think that's more of a perceived problem than an actual one though. The difference between shipping midway across the nation and all the way across is a few hours on a plane. The cost of shipping a fish twice is comparable to next day shipping, but without the delay and additional acclimation and handling. I think Severum_Momma and HN1 would disagree with your premise here.

And sadly, guppies basically breed themselves.

I would get a few batches of bolivians under your belt before you start planning on breeding the commercially.

aqua_chem said:
I think that's more of a perceived problem than an actual one though. The difference between shipping midway across the nation and all the way across is a few hours on a plane. The cost of shipping a fish twice is comparable to next day shipping, but without the delay and additional acclimation and handling. I think Severum_Momma and HN1 would disagree with your premise here.

And sadly, guppies basically breed themselves.

I know.... I selectively bred and culled them..... I will breed lots of fish

aqua_chem said:
I would get a few batches of bolivians under your belt before you start planning on breeding the commercially.

Yeah, I was planning on sticking with plants and inverts until the rams become more experienced (and me too). But there might be an occasional fish sold here and there.

Obviously my main focus will be on plants and shrimp. I am not going to be doing this to make money, I will be doing this for fun.

If your focus is fun, then just pick species that you like, and don't worry about what sells. That's a great way to get experience anyhow, and there's no sense in being in a hobby that you aren't in love with.

aqua_chem said:
Sounds like a good way to suck the fun out of a hobby to me.

I beg to differ. My initial goal when I first started was to breed and maximize profit by selling the babies to cover up my costs. I haven't had any babies yet, it's already been at least 3 months. I don't mind it and I still enjoy taking care of all my fish, feeding them the best, changing the water, offering them the best environment and watching them all day.

I have spent over $500 already, went over at least 4 tanks and have absolute no regrets.

I don't think it's right to assume that there will be no fun. Everyone is different.

Back
Top Bottom