Advice on larger (over 50%) pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question to ask. Is it wise when performing a larger pwc (over 50%) to remove your fish or leave them in? I have never preformed such a large Change because I fear that in combination with low water levels and the filter being off it might stress/kill my fish. thanks.

Always leave them in, taking them out and putting them in strange surrounding will stress them more than doing a wc. U can do bigger than 50% if you need it.

boadams87 said:
Always leave them in, taking them out and putting them in strange surrounding will stress them more than doing a wc. U can do bigger than 50% if you need it.

+1 I've done 75% with them in. Taking them out will only stress them.

My fish don't seem any different whether I do a 40% or 70% PWC. If I'm going through the trouble to hook up my siphon I usually go with more.
Always use Prime and keep your eye on the temperature. Both are too easy to overlook... with bad results.

Slade said:
My fish don't seem any different whether I do a 40% or 70% PWC. If I'm going through the trouble to hook up my siphon I usually go with more.
Always use Prime and keep your eye on the temperature. Both are too easy to overlook... with bad results.

Same here. Go ahead and do a big one. It'll last longer most of the time

Besides using Prime and watching temp, if you have a fairly heavy bio load, you may have a pH differential between your tank and the tap. I had to do several 30% PWC's fairly close together before I moved to 50% changes.

With at least one 50% PWC a week, there generally isn't enough time between changes for anything to build up to hurt your fish (under normal circumstances).

I agree with everybody because I always do large wcs (50-75%)- leave the fish be as long as they have sufficient room to swim. They will be fine as long as you temp match & condition the water. Just dont take an extended lunch break in the midst of the pwc. :)

Yes u will be fine. I removed over 80% of the water to move it to another room, and they were all fine :)

P.S. removing all the fish would be SO HARD especially if they are fast like my bloodfins

Back
Top Bottom