Advice on my 55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently completed the initial cycle on my 55 gal high profile (48" long, 23" tall, 12 "deep) aquarium. I have 6 juvenile Angels, 6 juvenile Dennisons and a common Pleco. All seem happy and healthy. Growing like weeds. I know Mongo (the Pleco) will eventually outgrow the tank, but I intend to set up a larger aquarium within the next two years. I'd like to add some bottom dwellers. I really like the Kuhli Loaches, and would like to add 6 of them to the community. I've done some research about their compatibility with the other fish and my main concern is the Pleco. As he grows larger will he become a threat to Kuhlis? Any advice or suggestion for comparable alternatives? Or should I just let Mongo have the bottom all to himself? I can add pictures of my aquarium if I can figure out how to do that.

Thanks in advance

Honeslty kuhlis should be fine. I've kept kuhlis with common plecos and there was no issue. I've actually kept them with a lot of larger fish- fish that could probably slurp them up given the chance. They keep a low profile. And they're fantastic little fish.

Personally I'd worry about the pleco. You can't predict the future and won't know your financial situation down the road. Common pleco get HUGE and have massive bioloads. If you really want a pleco take it back and get a bristlenose or a clown. They won't get massive and can actually be fine in your tank.

Caleb

I'm not sure Mongo is actually a common Pleco. He has spots and stripes. He also has a very tall dorsal fin. Could he be a Sailfin Pleco? Do they get as big as the Common Pleco? He's about 4 inches long and has been growing rapidly. The LFS rep I got him from didn't seem very knowledgeable.

It's possible. Mistakes are made. Today I jumped on a mismatch at a local Petland and picked up a bristlenose that was marked as a common for $2.96.

I'm not sure Mongo is actually a common Pleco. He has spots and stripes. He also has a very tall dorsal fin. Could he be a Sailfin Pleco? Do they get as big as the Common Pleco? He's about 4 inches long and has been growing rapidly. The LFS rep I got him from didn't seem very knowledgeable.

Post a picture I'm sure we can identify it.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom