Advice on planting a tank already filled with water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scuba-Doo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have some live plants on their way which I’m wanting to add to my tank which is already filled with water, has fish in and currently only has plastic plants/decorations.

I’ve heard it may help my ammonia issues as well as being beneficial in a number of other ways!

I have fairly large gravel stones.

My question is - can anyone find a good YouTube video of how I actually plant them in a tank that is already filled with water and fish?

I have searched and searched but can only seem to find advice/tutorials on empty new tanks..

Or if anyone has advice themselves on how I do this?

Apologies if this sounds like a really dumb question but I am not sure how to go about this with an already established tank.

I won’t be able to add plant substrate (or at least I doubt I will be able to).

Many thanks in advance for any advice people can give me! :)

FYI I have attached a picture of my tank as it is currently if that helps in any advice !

:fish2:

Attachments

• 8D44012B-3EE1-4EB1-9664-36EEFC5674E2.jpg
    8D44012B-3EE1-4EB1-9664-36EEFC5674E2.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 32
Just reach in and plant them with your hands or with tools. No science or magic to it.

Certain plants are easier to plant than other, and some are not to be planted at all.

Oh really? I wasn’t sure how ‘deep’ they needed to be planted in the substrate or if I need any specific fertiliser or anything..

I have vallisneria spiralis, taxiphyllum moss, helanthium tenellum & ludwigia palustris which are all supposed to be ‘easy’ to care for and good beginner plants :)

Thanks for your help!

Yep,. bury the roots, and leave the crown where all the leaves come out just at the substrate surface.

For the stem plants, you can shove them in as deep as you want and they will sprout new roots.

Back
Top Bottom