Advise on Brittle starfish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tecwzrd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I’ve just added a 6” Brittle star fish (banded) to my main from the qt tank which I fed ¼ frozen cube to once every other day. With 90 lbs of lr in the main will it have enough food from scavenging or should I target feed it every couple of days or once a week?

TIA

Although it will probably get enough to eat, I like to target feed mine pieces of shrimp once a week just to make sure.

Thanks Hara :D

Would half of a salad sized raw shrimp be large enough for a 6” or would you use a whole or even a cocktail sized shrimp? It seemed to eat all the frozen I gave it every day. Also I assume soaking in Selcon & Zoe as I do my frozen wouldn’t hurt it. If properly feed should it leave my shrimp alone?

Mine has been pretty active on and off during the day which is nice. I thought I’d only see it during the morning/night.

I feed my a chunk 1 time a week. Not too big not too small. He comes after it as soon as he smells it in the water. It is awsome to watch. I give other chunks to my snails and one to my bubble coral. They all love shrimp.

I would say a half of a salad shrimp would be fine. You dont want to make him lazy ;)

Thanks Hara, what about my other shrimp ie: cleaner/Peppermint/Banded Coral? I know they are considered "reef safe" but are they known for going after the live shrimp in the tank?

Well mine typicalyl stays hidden. I see one or two legs sticking out every now and then but he is always under the rocks.

I never fed him cause I figured he would be eatign crap already in the tank. I only have a 10 gallon tank however.

Well one day I was feedign my bubble coral and I dropped a piece of shrimp and he came out at full speed and wrapped the shrimp up on his arms and took it back under the rock with him. So now I feed him some shrimp each week. I bet if yours is hungry and you put a shrimp in his vacinity he will come out for it.

tecwzrd said:
Thanks Hara, what about my other shrimp ie: cleaner/Peppermint/Banded Coral? I know they are considered "reef safe" but are they known for going after the live shrimp in the tank?

Your live shrimp should be perfectly safe

Back
Top Bottom