African Clawed Frogs have trouble eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 55 gal tank with 4 African Clawed Frogs, 2 Spotted Pimelodus, 2 Sailfin Plecos, and a bunch of Goldfish num nums for the frogs. The Frogs seem to be having a problem catching the Goldfish. I usually buy 4 dozen at a time, and when I first put the Goldfish in the tank the Frogs can eat them. Now they almost seem uninterested in the Goldfish. I had been hand feeding the Frogs Nightcrawlers since they were babies. Over the past 3-4 months I've been trying to switch them to Goldfish, but I have about 10-15 that have been in there for a month now. I'm sure the frogs are eating, bc they probably would have died by now if they weren't. Anyone know if there is anything I can do, or know if there is an alternate food I can feed them instead?

Fiddy said:
Hi, I have a 55 gal tank with 4 African Clawed Frogs, 2 Spotted Pimelodus, 2 Sailfin Plecos, and a bunch of Goldfish num nums for the frogs. The Frogs seem to be having a problem catching the Goldfish. I usually buy 4 dozen at a time, and when I first put the Goldfish in the tank the Frogs can eat them. Now they almost seem uninterested in the Goldfish. I had been hand feeding the Frogs Nightcrawlers since they were babies. Over the past 3-4 months I've been trying to switch them to Goldfish, but I have about 10-15 that have been in there for a month now. I'm sure the frogs are eating, bc they probably would have died by now if they weren't. Anyone know if there is anything I can do, or know if there is an alternate food I can feed them instead?

Hi,
Personally I wouldn't feed the frogs live bate. They are living in a Comunity tank and encouraging them to snap up at swimming tank mates could end up with problems on both sides. Acdfs will happily eat off the bottom of the tank and putting something like bloodworms or brine shrimp works really well. The Acdfs you have are probably feeding off what you are putting in for the fish. Dried food isn't ideal but they will eat it if it's on the tank floor. I would encourage you to put a soft food in that the frogs can find and snap up. This will encourage them to snap at the food and not the other fish in the tank. ( it won't totally prevent then nipping but generally it keeps them passive and well integrated in a community tank).

African clawed frogs should be kept in a species only tank, and it isn't recommended to feed them fish, frog pellets or reptomin should be the staple, with bloodworm, brine shrimp, earthworms etc being supplements

Back
Top Bottom