African Dwarf Frog question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatuncle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I have a question about a pesky dwarf frog. By way of background, I have a 5 gallon tank with a couple guppies, a couple drawf frogs, and a little spotted catfish. This is not a new tank, though all of these creatures are new to it (they've been there just over a week).

The issue I'm having is that one of these frogs is being a total menace. He picks on the other fish. In particular he prowls around the tank, sneaks up on the catfish, and snaps at him. He does this methodically and repeatedly. I'm now noticing changes in the behaviour of the catfish; the catfish doesn't swim around as much - he tends to keep very still most of the time. This frog will also snap at fish if they come near and will occasionally get into a tussle with the other frog. The aggressiveness towards the other fish and the other frog only usually happens when they're being fed. But he tends to go after the catfish quite constantly.

I have three general questions. First, why is this frog behaving this way? The other frog is not displaying this aggressive behaviour. Does he just think that everything that moves is food and snap at it? Is he possibly one of those African clawed frogs? I got him at a pet store out of a tank filled with frogs labeled otherwise. Second, is his behaviour going to cause harm to the catfish? Can he actually hurt the catfish, or distress it to the point that its health suffers? (I suspect this is the case.) Third, what do I do about it? The only way of separating the frog, if necessary, would be by returning him to the store or administering the death penalty...

Note: I say "he" throughout this post but I haven't got a clue if the frog is male or female.

Welcome to AA!

First, why is this frog behaving this way?
Im thinking it is a ACF (African Clawed Frog), not a ADF (Do you happen to have a pic of both frogs? It will be easier to identify). Why I say is because Dwarfs are generally peaceful and do not exhibit that behavior.

Does he just think that everything that moves is food and snap at it?
If your frog is an ACF, anything smaller than it, It will try to eat it.

Second, is his behaviour going to cause harm to the catfish? Can he actually hurt the catfish, or distress it to the point that its health suffers? (I suspect this is the case.) Third, what do I do about it?
Yes, if stressed enough, the catfish could stop eating and result in death. I would recommend separating (If you frog/frogs are any ACF) into different tank (ACF's need at least a 10 gallon, possibly more.)

Just a heads up, no catfish belongs in a 5 gallon (besides pygmy cories). Depending on your catfish, it could grow quite large and need a bigger tank.

I can't get a quality picture of the inside of the tank. Are there any specific indicators of an ACF I can look for? Other than the fact that the frog sneaks up behind the catfish and snaps at it fairly regularly... The other thing is that the frog is actually much smaller than the catfish (which is a spotted cory catfish, by the way, and I'd be interested to know if this will outgrow the tank), yet he snaps at it. I'm not sure if he's trying to eat it or if he's being territorially defensive - the catfish tends to mosey through areas where the frog likes to hang out.

It seems like separation is probably the only remedy, though.

It's hard to tell the difference between young African Clawed Frogs and African Dwarf Frogs. The best way to determine if you have an ADF or an ACF is to check out their forefeet (hands). This shows the difference in them as the ACF has no webbing on its' forefeet and the ADF does.

I've taken a look. The forefeet are definitely webbed. From all the research I've done, and from what you're saying here, I seem to have the world's only aggressive dwarf frog. Maybe it's the small size of the tank that is provoking him.

Back
Top Bottom