African dwarf frogs and betta fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addisonnolann

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I have two tanks, one a 10 and one a 5 gallon tank. In both tanks a have one male betta fish, and in the 10 gallon I have several minnows. I was thinking about possibly adding an African dwarf frog or two to my 5 gallon with a betta. Is the tank large enough? Do adf like to be in groups?? I also heard they were hard to feed, is this true? And tips are helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should have enough room for 2 adf. They prefer at least 2. I've read that they can be if faculty to feed and sometimes hand or direct feeding is necessary. However I have 7 adf with platys and minnows and they are the first ones out at feeding time. If they struggling getting food turning the light off can give them an advantage but honestly I've never had any feeding issues from mine. They love frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I occasionally give sinking pellets which they appreciate. Good luck. They are excellent little things and a brilliant addition to an aquarium

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should have enough room for 2 adf. They prefer at least 2. I've read that they can be if faculty to feed and sometimes hand or direct feeding is necessary. However I have 7 adf with platys and minnows and they are the first ones out at feeding time. If they struggling getting food turning the light off can give them an advantage but honestly I've never had any feeding issues from mine. They love frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I occasionally give sinking pellets which they appreciate. Good luck. They are excellent little things and a brilliant addition to an aquarium

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you very much! I'll pick two up along with some pellets. I have frozen blood worms so they can have those as well. Thank you very much!

I ended up getting two African dwarf frogs today! They aren't very active, but hopefully that's just from being in a new tank. Also got three Juli corycats for my ten gallon. They are so adorable.

I've kept African Dwarfs with several different Bettas before and never had any problems. Mine would eat pretty much everything I put into the tank.
For food I have API Betta pellets and Omega One freeze dried blood worms. Also blood worms and brine shrimp about once a week.

I've kept African Dwarfs with several different Bettas before and never had any problems. Mine would eat pretty much everything I put into the tank.
For food I have API Betta pellets and Omega One freeze dried blood worms. Also blood worms and brine shrimp about once a week.

Thank you! I hope to find some frog pellets, but my lfs didn't have any, so for now they get frozen blood worms!

Back
Top Bottom