After cycling complete...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ngerman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it typical to not have any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates after the cycle is complete? I do have live wysteria so I believe they are now using the nitrates. Is this correct? Thank you!!

Once your cycle completes, you should see 0 ammonia and nitrite. Its possible, but unlikely, you could see 0 nitrate depending on your bioload, and how heavily planted you are.

A heavily stocked tank even in a heavily planted tank is unlikely to have 0 nitrate. A lightly stocked tank, in a moderately planted tank, more likely to have 0 nitrate.

I would check you are doing your nitrate test correctly. Gotta shake the heck out of bottle #2 (assuming API master test kit).

How have you cycled the tank? If fishless how much ammonia have you been dosing?

For a 3 gallon tank, it's heavily planted. I started with 3 small stems of wysteria and now 2/3 of the bottom is covered. I only have 2 pearl danios and an otto. Unfortunately I did the fish in cycle but didn't lose anyone in the process. This tank was very hard to cycle. Took almost 2 months, then one day 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I am using the api master test kit and am very familiar with it since I was checking it almost 2-3 times a day

3g isnt big enough for fish. Those danios need to be in bigger numbers, and a 10g tank. Same for the ottos. If you want to keep both, a 15g would be preferable. At a push, a 3g might be ok for a single betta. Absolutely not suitable for those fish. If you are really stuck with 3g, get shrimp.

Have you ever seen nitrate during your cycle?

Back
Top Bottom