Agessive Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizzle007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon established tank. I noticed that my dwarf is being aggressive to my blue ram. Any suggestions?

Stock:
1 blue ram
1 dwarf gourami
5 neon tetras
3 juvies peacock gudgeon
2 guppys

Attachments

• image-1076935536.jpg
    image-1076935536.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 134
Single it out. When my fish are aggressive, I single them out. I get a bucket and then catch, put it in there and leave it there for an hour or so. It teaches them a good lesson. If you catch them doing it again repeat until he stops.

Single it out. When my fish are aggressive, I single them out. I get a bucket and then catch, put it in there and leave it there for an hour or so. It teaches them a good lesson. If you catch them doing it again repeat until he stops.
Wow bruin... didn't know you can do that. I have one of those breeder boxes and I always thought of it as a time-out room but never really put it in use like that if I see a fish getting out of line. Do you think it would do the same thing, or should I use the bucket method instead? LOL....

Wow bruin... didn't know you can do that. I have one of those breeder boxes and I always thought of it as a time-out room but never really put it in use like that if I see a fish getting out of line. Do you think it would do the same thing, or should I use the bucket method instead? LOL....

Probably, for mild aggression I put the fish in a clear container and leave them to watch the other fish swim. It is a really good mental shocker to the fish.

I have a 20 gallon established tank. I noticed that my dwarf is being aggressive to my blue ram. Any suggestions?

If you don't have another tank to separate the fish and if bruin's suggestion doesn't work... you can try shifting all your decoration around and plants, this will eliminate staking claims on territory and may help to alleviate the aggression.

Probably, for mild aggression I put the fish in a clear container and leave them to watch the other fish swim. It is a really good mental shocker to the fish.
Cool... learned something new today :) BTW, I'm a bruin fan myself and grew up in Westwood & Santa Monica. My GF is a Bruin Alumn too. We love taunting and bashing on the SC fans at the games (even so we lose most of the time). Anyway, good to see a fellow southern Californian in the AA virtual space...LOL :D

I'm going to go to LFS and try to get some new decorations and plants see if that helps. I am thinking of taking out the gourami while I re-decorate. Noticed a couple of my fish have split fin must be from the bully. Thank for the advice.

BTW I am also from so cal, I'm in OC.

I'm going to go to LFS and try to get some new decorations and plants see if that helps. I am thinking of taking out the gourami while I re-decorate. Noticed a couple of my fish have split fin must be from the bully. Thank for the advice.

BTW I am also from so cal, I'm in OC.

Cool let us know if the new decor and temporary separation works.

Glad to see another so cal person up in here... OC is cool, we use to hit up the block and spectrum. I can't wait to move back. I barely moved to AZ in February and I'm' counting the days till I move back...LOL

Update

So last night went to LFS and purchsed a new decoration (cave) and moved some plants around. The gourami seemed to be less agressive last night. This morning woke up went to feed (they new it was coming) and he started to chase the blue ram again. I pulled him out and put him in a bucket. He did not like this. I was swimming around hitting the side of the bucket. After 20 minutes or so put him back in he went directly to the bottom and hid in another cave I have. Hopefully this helps, I thinking it only happens at feeding timeor when I'm by the tank. Anything else I can try?

I have had aggression problems with my DG from time to time. He would just explode and go after my Glowlights, then he was fine. I have since moved from a 10g to a 20g tall and I think the extra room has helped. I think if the bucket or breeder box doesn't work, he just needs to be moved.

He is is a 20 gallon tall now. It's crazy for the first week he was docile. He must have marked his territory. I'm going to try a feed them spread out more maybe that will help. Unfortunaly I dont have another tank to move him to.

I would say you are right. When they mark their territory, they will go nuts if something invades it. I think if he is still aggressive, try moving all of the decorations around. This kinda scrambles the territory he had and may help.

I would say you are right. When they mark their territory, they will go nuts if something invades it. I think if he is still aggressive, try moving all of the decorations around. This kinda scrambles the territory he had and may help.
I have a pair of kribs and the male would chase the female around and make her sit in a cave almost all the time...

I took out all the plants and rocks and rebuilt the tank and now things are much better although the male does chase the female once in a while but she is out a lot.

What about floating plants? Part of my problem might be that it is a 20 gallon tall and my tall plants are still growing. Anyone have any recommendations for floating plants for 20 gallon?

Some of the most common are anacharis, hornwort, and frogbit. I personally prefer anacharis, because hornwort has a tendency to "melt". Anacharis also preforms double duty by soaking up nitrates like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom