Aggressive Flame Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leader-Of-The-Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, today I purchased 5 neon tetras in my 10 gallon tank. when I was acclimating them using the bag method I realized something was wrong when the flame tetra was attacking the bag. When I added the neons the flame tetra then continued to chase/attack them. I am leaving them in the dark to get the fish relaxed. It seems to be working a little because the aggression seems to be lowering after about 4 hours. Could the Flame tetra just be established who is boss (pecking order)?

The tank is a 10 gallon tank with:

1 Flame Tetra
5 Neon Tetra

Any help would be appreciated! :D

I see two problems. First, you have only one flame tetra when you should have at least 5. Second, your tank might be overstocked.

bettaowner said:
I see two problems. First, you have only one flame tetra when you should have at least 5. Second, your tank might be overstocked.

Yup the schooling suggestion makes sence, but he said in one of his other threads that the other flame tetras picked eachother off and this last one seems to have brighter colours by himself, not with others. And i dont think its overstocked at all. People say neons need 20 gallon tank but that sounds crazy to me

I've had to deal with aggressive tetras. Add the desired amount of tetras then provide multiple hiding areas. After a week this fighting should stop. Works with neons.

Thanks for the advice. The flame tetra and the neons are getting together perfectly now. I am not going to add more flame tetras because this flame terra could not get along with its own species.

Once again thanks! :D

A school of flame tetras in that tank would be severely cramped and therefore, very crabby fish. They require at least 20 gallons. I'd rehome the flame and just get yourself more neons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom