Agressive tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

So I originally had 3 black skirt tetras, one died from most likely shock and injury when his anal fin was ripped clean off :/ So now I only have 2 teras, 1 smaller one 1" and a larger one 2"-2 1/4". I believe the bigger one killed the other tetra as it was a smaller one (Why the pet store gave me uneven sized fish im not sure but I regret it now). The smaller fish is chewed up, both pectoral fins are in bad condition, I added melafix to the tank to help his injuries and reduce the chance of disease. Now I know these guys are schooling fish and 2 is not enough but the tank is only about a week old and still cycling. I want to add more fish to save the little guy but im not sure what I can do at this point.

The odd thing is I have never witnessed the attacking either, no matter how long I stare at the tank.

Tank:
10 gal < I have a 30 gal on order but it wont be up until this one is done cycling
Ammo: Less than .25
Nitrite: Slightly higher than 0 but not by much
Nirates: 20
PH: is around 7.4-7.6

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hmmm. Well, one crazy idea is to get a full school ( like 6) and then as soon as the 30 comes do a fish in with them. Not sure how much that would help the aggression, but it is an idea.

Hmmm. Well, one crazy idea is to get a full school ( like 6) and then as soon as the 30 comes do a fish in with them. Not sure how much that would help the aggression, but it is an idea.

That was my initial idea, im insane when it comes to the levels in my tank so im not worried about having to do pwcs with more fish. I just dont wanna loose another little guy.

So basically go to lfs and get 4 more tetras?

I would say yes. But get them smaller so their bio load isn't so big. Black skirt tetras really don't belong in a 10 gallon anyway.

I bought 4 smaller guys, getting them adjusted to the new water now. I agree on the 10 gallon tank, Ill have my 30 gallon setup over the weekend. If the bio load on the 10 gallon isnt terrible and the fish act ok ill fishless cycle the 30 gal so its ready for them rather than stressing them out again.

Thanks for your help!

I think fishless cycling is better for the fish, you doing it fishless in your 30 would be fine, but I would get some bacteria in a bottle or bacteria colonizer to speed up the cycle. Also see if your lfs will give you any seeded filter pads or something. The faster the 30 is cycled and the black skirts can go in it, the better. Good luck:D

-bud

Back
Top Bottom