Aha moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdw1731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started this hobby back in August and once I got my tank up and running well, I wanted another one. My second tank is where I decided to take the Nestea plunge (am i dating myself or what) and go planted. I admit I was scared to death because I didn't want to 'mess up'. After doing some research i got me some nice plants and a new light and stepped out on faith. I assumed that a 'healty" tank would be algae and disease free, no leaves would ever die and my water would always be pristine.

I, like many of you , have had all of the above happen at one time or another.

Then, my family and I decided to take a trip to the heavily funded, nationally renown Baltimore aquarium.

What we saw was many tanks with species and plants of all kinds. We also saw a tank here and there being quarantined, dead leaves, dying plants algae. I was disappointed at first because i assumed everything there would be my definition of perfect. instead, I recognized that perfect tanks are always in the cycle of life and death. Without light, things die, with light things grow and vice versa. Since then, I am no longer paranoid about the little speck here and dead leaf there. I do pay more attention to my tank now and try to head off the bad things before they get worse. I tend to my tank only as much as needed but otherwise, nature will find a way.

PS...those plants i thought i would kill are growing like crazy and the fish are happy as untattoed mollies excpet for the snail taht got caught on my filter uptake. :banghead:

A good story and a great reminder that no matter how much we think we are in control of our tanks, mother nature will always have her say! Thanks for sharing :)

Back
Top Bottom