Ahh! Power just went out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiltymj

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long can the fish last while the power is out? I know they will be ok for a little while. But you never know how long it's going to take for it to come back on. Help? Concerns?

Oh it's a 75 gallon brackish

Put a blank or something over the tank to cover it and try and keep as much heat in the tank as possible

Ya that's what I was worried about. But thanks I just did that

I was thinking of starting my own thread about this since we have so many strong T-storms roll through here in VA. I was wondering about trying to find a small battery powered air compressor or something similar to use in the tank if the filter isn't running.

One thing I know is mandatory is keeping your filter media wet. Some HOB filters have the water drain out when they're unplugged, so make sure all your filtration sponges / pads stay submerged even if you've got to stick it down in the tank until the power comes back on.

Ya those storms that hit. I think it was Missouri yesterday? Just hit my house in Columbus Ohio

My power was out for 3ish hours last week. All 20 something tanks did just fine :)

O ok well good! And geez 20 tanks!?!? All in your house or do you have a store?

Ha that's awesome though. I would really like to know what each of them are if that isn't gonna take you to long lol

Ha not every detail no I'm just interested what kind of fish you have

55 gal community - work in progress - albino rainbow shark

29 gal - 3 hillstream loaches, neon blue dwarf gourami, female CT betta, 6 julii corydoras, 4 panda corydoras, 6 Glo-fish, 2 CPO(dwarf cray), green shrimp, red cherry shrimp, purple apple snails, pink & blue ramshorn snails.

20 gal - male HM betta, 7 glowlight tetras, 4 dadios, 6 striped kuhli loaches, 2 pitbull plecos, 2 bamboo shrimp, 1 magenta apple snails

20 gal - 6 borneo redfin rasboras, will be home to 6 Gardneri killifish as well once they are big enough

20 gal - vampire crab paludarium

20 gal - electric blue lobster

14 gal - 2 HiFin variatus, 2 red wag platy, 1 bumble bee platy,blue pearl shrimp, horned nerites

14 gal - 7 fancy male guppies, 7 neon tetra

14 gal - 11 boraras brigittae, 4 scarlet badis, 2 corydoras hasbrosus(need more), 3 oto cats, thai micro crabs

14 gal brackish - 6 bumblebee gobies and 4 fiddlers

10 gal ADF species only tank

10 gal QT - currently a german blue and gold ram.

2 10 gal divided female betta tanks CT's and VT's

3 5 gals female bettas CT's and VT

3 5 gals male bettas VT, HM, and HMDT

5 gal gardneri killifish fry - soon to be home to CT male betta

2.5 gal crystal red shrimp

1.5 gal glow in the dark - ghost shrimp

1 gal sunkist shrimp

1 gal blackberry shrimp

+55 gal RES turtle tank

Alright that's awsome! Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling that is going to be me in a couple of years.

Other than the blanket over the tank idea, do you guys know any tips to keep things going if the power is out for a day or more? Any battery powered ideas to keep the water moving and aerated?

Ya cause im really worried it's gonna stay out all night it's almost been 3 hours since it's been out

You may need to consider a small generator, at least something to power an
air-stone if you have one. The bubbles will at least keep the surface agitating.
Of course a small generator could probably power your filter and heater to:D

This thread has got me thinking what I would in this situation? Guess I'll have to check out generators at home depot / ace.

Back
Top Bottom