Ahh! Power just went out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep I'm on my way to the only thing that is open. Wal mart!

I've thought about those self powered air pumps they sell for camping to blow up air mattresses. If you can attach an airline tube to one you're in business.

eco23 said:
I've thought about those self powered air pumps they sell for camping to blow up air mattresses. If you can attach an airline tube to one you're in business.

U might be able to. I know the adapters are fairly large that attach to the mattresses are pretty large, about 1 inch, but u might be able to step down the airline tubing to something more manageable. However, those pumps are loud as heck. But if it's all u got to save ur tank guess u can't complain.

Ha the wife does not understand my hobby. She is not happy about my generator purchase. O well

A car battery can power filter,light,air pump,etc up.
You will need to do some reading n learning how to wire thing around.

A basic inverter(they sell them at wally world), hooked to a car battery(not the one in your car, a spare one) can power some of the things.
I have one that's 400 watt max continous, plus a full blown UPS that I sort of added onto the battery system for shorter power outages. Unfortunately, the time to prepare is before, and now all you can do is limit damage.

straick said:
A basic inverter(they sell them at wally world), hooked to a car battery(not the one in your car, a spare one) can power some of the things.
I have one that's 400 watt max continous, plus a full blown UPS that I sort of added onto the battery system for shorter power outages. Unfortunately, the time to prepare is before, and now all you can do is limit damage.

Inverters are pricey, I have one that's around 100$, but it's worth it because without it I have a possibility of losing priceless fish.

Interesting I like the car battery inverter idea better

What can they run? Filter, air pump and heater? Do you just stick them on a trickle charger between uses? How long can they run the stuff before the battery dies?

shadowstars123 said:
Inverters are pricey, I have one that's around 100$, but it's worth it because without it I have a possibility of losing priceless fish.

Inverters are cheaper than generators too.

eco23 said:
What can they run? Filter, air pump and heater? Do you just stick them on a trickle charger between uses?

Mine has two outlets and 2 USB. You connect them straight to the battery. I believe my inverter can power my canister filter, my air pump, and my heater all at the same time, I'd have to check to confirm though

I have a honda eu2000i generator that runs stuff but I live in hurricane country so I'm more concerned about keeping other things powered up.

Most of my tanks are on a central air pump so I'd just have to power it up and I'd be good for however long the power is out, although most of the tanks I honestly think would be fine for several hours without any aeration.

As far as a cheap aeration solution goes, go to walmart into the fishing section and get a clip on bait bucket aerator for like 5 dollars. It takes C or D batteries.

There are some fairly cheap power inverters available for cars so you could always get one with enough wattage to run whatever it is you plan to run and just run an extension cord from the car to the tanks. It'd drain the battery but running the car for a while will counter that

jetajockey said:
I have a honda eu2000i generator that runs stuff but I live in hurricane country.

Most of my tanks are on a central air pump so I'd just have to power it up and I'd be good for however long the power is out, although most of the tanks I honestly think would be fine for several hours without any aeration.

As far as a cheap aeration solution goes, go to walmart into the fishing section and get a clip on bait bucket aerator for like 5 dollars. It takes C or D batteries.

For even cheaper aeration, blow on the airline tubing until the power goes back on! Nah I'm kidding, that's impractical

Kinda easy to wire to a battery , u need a wire with outlet,
First is to cut the part you plug in, spilt the wire into 2, there should already be 2 part.
Wire it to the car battery. Plug all your stuff in the outlet.
This part is for wiring only.

It's a danger step to take so do this on your own free well as you can probly shock yourself if you miss did something.

I do not recommend it to anyone. If ur a teen ask you dad.

To controll and check how much power it giving off is another step.

aanother way to do this is just use ur car, there r part that you plug into the smoking plug in your car, buy one, buy some good long wire, make sure it reach inside ur house.

u will have to have ur car turn on all night.

BlackMagic said:
aanother way to do this is just use ur car, there r part that you plug into the smoking plug in your car, buy one, buy some good long wire, make sure it reach inside ur house.

u will have to have ur car turn on all night.

Turning on your car? I think the amount of gas prices these days and a possibility of this happening again I think pays off an inverter or a generator. And safer, considering you would have to leave a door open in your garage to get rid of the CO

YouTube is ur best friend, there some good vid on YouTube showing what u can do with a car battery.

Turning on your car? I think the amount of gas prices these days and a possibility of this happening again I think pays off an inverter or a generator. And safer, considering you would have to leave a door open in your garage to get rid of the CO

Some ppl might go this way, keeping you fish alive is more important then paying for gas.
Some ppl have ton of tanks in their home with ton of fish.
If I was one of those ppl with 20+ tank ill rather use up gas.

A cobra CPI 480 isn't a bad deal, 400 watts is enough to power a heater and a filter and possibly an air pump, check the amount of power your setup uses and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom