Air Stone required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiskadden

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting a Fluval Spec V and I am not sure if I will need an air stone? I hear that the filter is really powerful but will be trying to disperse the flow because I will be putting a betta, live plants and maybe some rili shrimp and/or an apple snail in it.

Can anyone input as to whether I really need one or not? Would the bubbles disrupt my betta? Would shrimp need the extra aeration? Would the plants provide enough aeration?

Thanks in advance for the help! :thanks:

I am getting a Fluval Spec V and I am not sure if I will need an air stone? I hear that the filter is really powerful but will be trying to disperse the flow because I will be putting a betta, live plants and maybe some rili shrimp and/or an apple snail in it.

Can anyone input as to whether I really need one or not? Would the bubbles disrupt my betta? Would shrimp need the extra aeration? Would the plants provide enough aeration?

Thanks in advance for the help! :thanks:

What plants are you planning to have? What temp is the tank going to be? I prefer always having an air machine, tubing, and stone so that if my tank gets ich, I can always get that in and won't have the risk of suffocating my fish.

What plants are you planning to have? What temp is the tank going to be? I prefer always having an air machine, tubing, and stone so that if my tank gets ich, I can always get that in and won't have the risk of suffocating my fish.

- Plants are mostly beginner ones, I really like the look of anubias, crypt, and maybe a java fern.

- Temp will between 76F to 78F hopefuly

Do you have a suggested air stone/wand? :)

i prefer the skinny round wand over the flat stone, always had a problem with the air going all the way through the stone, i have a foot long skinny bubble wand , bought at walmart fir 4.88 , works great.

With the plants you are using (root feeders) roots tabs are required. Air stones will not benefit the plants, and probably not the beta since he is a bubble nest breather. Air stone is good for BB though, it helps with aerobic bacteria health. You definitely do not want anaerobic bacteris. So in my opinion, the air stone will not hurt anything. I do suggest that you pit the air stone on a timer and have it come on at night. It will help with fish health. During the day, plants take in light (photosynthesis) as well as carbon dioxide, necessary for plant nutrition. Plants take in sunlight and CO2, and the byproduct of this synthesis is Oxygen generation (O2) by the plants.
Bottom line. O2 is good, just use it at night when the plants are releasing O2 anyway.
Good luck!
D

With the plants you are using (root feeders) roots tabs are required. Air stones will not benefit the plants, and probably not the beta since he is a bubble nest breather. Air stone is good for BB though, it helps with aerobic bacteria health. You definitely do not want anaerobic bacteris. So in my opinion, the air stone will not hurt anything. I do suggest that you pit the air stone on a timer and have it come on at night. It will help with fish health. During the day, plants take in light (photosynthesis) as well as carbon dioxide, necessary for plant nutrition. Plants take in sunlight and CO2, and the byproduct of this synthesis is Oxygen generation (O2) by the plants.
Bottom line. O2 is good, just use it at night when the plants are releasing O2 anyway.
Good luck!
D

I was planing on using eco complete substrate... would i still need root tabs?

As I am reading it does seem a good idea to get an air stone for the good bacteria, in case of ich, and just in general to have extra air in the tank. Demodrin, if there even is a Walmart around here, I have never even been inside one. :blink: Thank you for the advice though... (y)

Anyone else have any suggestions on air stones/wands and an actual pump?... the more quiet the better seeing as the filter will be making little to no noise.

Air stones aren't necessary unless you notice your tank doesn't have enough oxygen for the fish. Most of the time the filter will be more than enough to keep all of your fish happy. In my planted tank I run a bubbler with a sponge filter as added filtration, I was going to attach it to a powerhead until my harlequin rasboras decided they liked playing in the bubbles.

Bubblers won't hurt anything but a lot of people just don't like the way they look.

Air stones aren't necessary unless you notice your tank doesn't have enough oxygen for the fish. Most of the time the filter will be more than enough to keep all of your fish happy. In my planted tank I run a bubbler with a sponge filter as added filtration, I was going to attach it to a powerhead until my harlequin rasboras decided they liked playing in the bubbles.

Bubblers won't hurt anything but a lot of people just don't like the way they look.

The only reason why I thought that I needed one is because the Fluval Spec V has the whole filter underwater, so no splashing. How does air get into the water (if I didn't have live plants)?

I don't really care for bubbles either, but it's better to do what is best for the fish/shrimp/snails then my own personal taste. xD

The only reason why I thought that I needed one is because the Fluval Spec V has the whole filter underwater, so no splashing. How does air get into the water (if I didn't have live plants)?

I don't really care for bubbles either, but it's better to do what is best for the fish/shrimp/snails then my own personal taste. xD

The air will diffuse into the water on its own, the surface agitation just increases surface area making it happen faster.

The air will diffuse into the water on its own, the surface agitation just increases surface area making it happen faster.

Think i should get an air wand/stone for the starting of my fishless cycle once i get everything? I guess also to use in case of ich? Since i have to get alot of the stuff online, I am trying to be proactive in planning for worst case scenarios.

Think i should get an air wand/stone for the starting of my fishless cycle once i get everything? I guess also to use in case of ich? Since i have to get alot of the stuff online, I am trying to be proactive in planning for worst case scenarios.

Definitely, the more oxygen that's in the water the faster your cycle will finish.

With temps over 82+ degrees, ich becomes less and less of a problem. A lot of the plants you mention are plants for warmer waters, so temps over 82 is no problem as long as you increase the temp slowly. Airstones are also good if you happen to dose any meds. Some meds place a demand on O@. Having an airstone as a backup is a good idea. I don't use air during the day (I use CO2 gas instead) but at night, I use an airstone to clarify the water, life any particles so the filters can get then, and for the benefit of BB. I have never had a problem. I don't see a problem with it one way or the other.
D

Back
Top Bottom